First Brew Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corp_T

Reaction score
Well, I somehow waited a full 3 weeks since brewing and I got everything bottled up.

Now I just have to wait another 3 weeks :(

I ended up having not quite enough beer bottles...for some reason I was buying twist-offs and didn't even realize it until last night. I was able to fill 44 bottles though, some larger than others so I didn't waste too much. But alas, I had enough left over after bottling to pour a glass and give it a try. Never had truly flat beer before in my life but it still tasted good.:mug:
IMGP1527.jpg

IMGP1525.jpg

Were you not able to use the twist offs? I bottled almost all of my beer in regular bottles but finished off with twist offs.

I tested one of them and after capping you can just twist the cap off like when you bought it originally.

I thought using the twist-offs was bad and didn't seal or whatnot. Otherwise I had another 15 bottles I just tossed in my recycling bin.

Shoot, if you're tossing the beer anyway, why NOT try the twisties and see how they work - or not - for yourself? (He suggests after the fact.)

If I buy beer, I make sure it's in pry off cap bottles.I was happy to see Michelob start using pry offs in its craft style beers.I guess they are trying to fit in more w/ the craft brewery style of beers.

I think he ment empty bottles;) Recycling is where my twisties go. Not worth it to me.

I had to toss maybe a glass worth of poor little innocent beer. :( If I'd known the twisties might work I would have tried them. I thought I read something that said never use them though, otherwise I might have.

They've been known to break at capping. If you try to use them in the future and only have a wing capper, just be very careful.

I had to toss maybe a glass worth of poor little innocent beer. :( If I'd known the twisties might work I would have tried them. I thought I read something that said never use them though, otherwise I might have.

I've capped a few twist offs to see what they were like and didn't think they felt tight enough to seal.This was with both a wing capper and a benchtop.For me its just not wort the chance of ruining a batch to risk it.There's a lot of work in the brewing and time involved.

My first brew i used 5 or 6 twist offs.(with gold caps)They were completely flat.

*shrug* I figure I'll stick with the non-twistoffs. Can't go wrong that way. I work with a bunch of alcoholics so it won't be a problem getting bottles in the future.

Back