First Brew: BB Witbier kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skatermxracer

Reaction score
Ok, so I just opened my first bottle from my BrewersBest Witbier kit... It is very good... followed the kit and used all the ingredients but, I added some fresh orange zest to the boil and also added a little bit of flour to help keep it cloudy (I really love unfiltered cloudy wheat beers)

It turned out great! The orange is very noticeable, and it turned out nice and cloudy...

now before I go at it again and try to do it up a little better to what i'm looking for, let me explain what it is that I'm looking for.

1. I would like to make it a little lighter in color, it turned out alot darker than I had expected/wanted... After doing some reading, it sounds as though my best bet might be to do away with the LME and stick with all DME.... opinions?

2. I would like it to be a bit more wheaty, it finishes with a slight wheaty taste but I would like it to be more so. Any advice as to do this (note this recent brew was my first ever so this is all new to me)?

here is a link to the site with a copy of the recipe... (after checking it I realized its kind of vague... sorry about that!)

http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1051_Witbier w steep to convert.pdf

here are some pictures! (sorry, they are just cell phone shots)

here shows the darker color
IMG_20111228_180953.jpg

and here shows how cloudy it is! (I have a flash light propped up behind the glass)

IMG_20111228_211441.jpg

Funny, BB's Witbier was my first ever kit too. I'm unfortunately too green to offer you any advice though.

Back