First botched eBIAB batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEnglish

Reaction score
While I was mashing I didn't realize that my grain bag was sitting directly on the element. I ended up burning a hole in the bag and around a half pound of grain was in my kettle during the boil. The mill at my LHBS also nearly pulverized the grain and a ton of small particles had made it through the bag. Having remembered, RDWHAHB, I grabbed a beer and pitched the yeast.

Since I can control temps during fermentation, I figured it would still turn out ok. When I checked on it a few days later, I had a nice surprise. The airlock was sitting next to a half empty carboy. In the midst of cleaning up the mess I poured out the rest of the carboy.

There is now a black mark that is about an inch long on my element. I was able to get a decent amount off, but not all of it. Will this be a problem for future batches? Also...are there bags that will not melt when they touch the element?

Latest posts

Back