First big bad noob mistake!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzeux

Reaction score
For the first time, I wanted to brew using speciality grains (Fat Tire Clone) and DME. I took a large nylon bag to put the grains, but I couldn't hit the desired temp at first. I decided to put the heat back. Bad Idea!! :( My nylon mesh bag was to large and melt on the bottom of my pot :eek:

Sorry to hear that. I agree with two_one_seven that attaching the bag to the handle of your kettle works, but also be careful about too much nylon bag hanging off of the handle near the burner (or hot electric surface). A binder clip or strong clothes pin could work to secure it to the handle or side of the pot. Hope things go better next time!

I have never had that problem with 125-158F water. I have a gas stove tho.

The problem was that as I had to turn the fire back on. The bottom was too hot for the nylon bag. This beer won't be organic, but maybe it will give nice new feelings :cross:

I use a muslin grain bag with a cake cooling rack that fits inside the bottom of my BK. Keeps the bag off the bottom,& allows hot water to circulate under it.

Lots of peeps just find an appropriate sized SS colander from Wally Mart and put it upside down in the brew pot. No more grain or bag touching the bottom. Should cost you about $6-8.

Lots of peeps just find an appropriate sized SS colander from Wally Mart and put it upside down in the brew pot. No more grain or bag touching the bottom. Should cost you about $6-8.

Thanks,
That's a great idea!! :mug:

Latest posts

Back