First biab, some questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simontja

Reaction score
Hey.

I just did my first BIAB, I'm new to this technique.

The recipe I made myself;

4500g (10 lb) Pale Ale malt (Maris Otter)
800g (1.75 lb) Vienna Malt (Weyerman)
200g (0.45 lb) Carapils
200g (0.45 lb) Crystal malt

----
I added 23 litres of water (6 gallon)

After 70 min mash on 154 (67c) , and 25 min mashout at 170-172 (76-77c) the gravity of around 25L was 1.056, I added boiling water on the hop bag to retrieve as much as possible from it, therefore the liquid increase.

1.056 is much much higher efficiency than I expected, after the hop additions the gravity was 1.069 on 22L, is this normal results?

What worries me most about the wort now is that it's not bitter.

My hop scheme was as following;

75 min boil,

10g Amarillo -- 75 min
10g Amarillo -- 60 min
15g Citra -- 45 min
10g Citra, 10g Mosaic - 30 min
10g Mosaic, Protofloc - 20 min
10g Amarillo, 10g Citra, 10g Mosaic - 15 min
10g Citra, 10g Amarillo, 5g Mosaic - Flameout.

The wort now is supersweet, but not very very faint bitter, although it has big hop aroma, not so much flavour at the moment, will this change?

Hey.

I just did my first BIAB, I'm new to this technique.

The recipe I made myself;

4500g (10 lb) Pale Ale malt (Maris Otter)
800g (1.75 lb) Vienna Malt (Weyerman)
200g (0.45 lb) Carapils
200g (0.45 lb) Crystal malt

----
I added 23 litres of water (6 gallon)

After 70 min mash on 154 (67c) , and 25 min mashout at 170-172 (76-77c) the gravity of around 25L was 1.056, I added boiling water on the hop bag to retrieve as much as possible from it, therefore the liquid increase.

1.056 is much much higher efficiency than I expected, after the hop additions the gravity was 1.069 on 22L, is this normal results?

What worries me most about the wort now is that it's not bitter.

My hop scheme was as following;

75 min boil,

10g Amarillo -- 75 min
10g Amarillo -- 60 min
15g Citra -- 45 min
10g Citra, 10g Mosaic - 30 min
10g Mosaic, Protofloc - 20 min
10g Amarillo, 10g Citra, 10g Mosaic - 15 min
10g Citra, 10g Amarillo, 5g Mosaic - Flameout.

The wort now is supersweet, but not very very faint bitter, although it has big hop aroma, not so much flavour at the moment, will this change?

If your grains are crushed well, yes you can expect to have high efficiency. I finally set my software for 85% and hit my OG right on.

My wort is always super sweet and not pleasant at all to taste but that changes when the yeast eat the sugars and leave you with alcohol instead. By the time it is carbonated and matured a bit your beer will taste pretty good. You'll just have to be careful with how much of it you drink because this is not a session beer anymore.

If your grains are crushed well, yes you can expect to have high efficiency. I finally set my software for 85% and hit my OG right on.

My wort is always super sweet and not pleasant at all to taste but that changes when the yeast eat the sugars and leave you with alcohol instead. By the time it is carbonated and matured a bit your beer will taste pretty good. You'll just have to be careful with how much of it you drink because this is not a session beer anymore.

I guess my beer was just too sweet because the unexpected efficiency, which then overtook the bitterness. Right now it's pretty malty, and mostly hop aroma.

Mine is the same. Try it after fermentation. Worst case you could dry hop in a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back