First BIAB Brew Finished!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramarok

Reaction score
Well I have finished my first brew day! Took longer than expected but I was happy with the outcome. I had spent months on these and other forums researching and planning everything out step by step.

Recipe was a all-grain kit of AHS Coffee Malt Stout. 10.25 lb grain bill and 1oz Galena hops and 8oz Malto-Dextrin at 60min. Had a little trouble holding mash temp but with the 10-15mph winds and it being in the mid-50s outside, but I think a 5F drop wasn't too bad (156-151) over an hour. Pre-boil gravity of 1.045 and post-boil gravity of 1.060, both about 4 points above expected (est pre-boil was 1.041 and est post-boil was 1.056 from Beersmith). Chilled with an IC to about 75F in about 20 minutes.

I did a 1L starter yesterday with a White Labs London Ale (WLP013) and pitched at 72F. Color going into the fermentor was a nice dark mocha color and the sample tasted pretty good.

Now on to deciding on my next recipe after this one comes out of the fermentor. :ban: :mug:

I like doing BIAB, Northern brewer has some decent 3 gallon kits. I got my oatmeal cookie brown from there, Has been sitting in primary since 2/23.

I have been doing BIAB for a couple years and am very happy with the results and simplicity that is possible. Of course, it can and has been made more involved a step at a time. ;)

BansheeRider said:
Whats BIAB?

Brew In A Bag. A type of all grain and partial mash brewing that is very popular for its ease with both equipment and ingredients.

I have never tried it but am very intrigued by the idea.

now you need to look into "no-chill". Adds a lot of flexibility to your schedule. Saves water and/or ice.
I'm on my third batch . So far, so good.

First batch bottled and ready to drink after just 5 weeks. 2 in fermenter and 3 conditioning in the bottle. Man it was good!

ForumRunner_20130327_201103.jpg

Latest posts

Back