First BIAB 3 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjedifishx

Reaction score
So I went to my LHBS and found a recipe for an "Irish Red" named Red Rocket. I'm not sure if it's a clone of the Bear Republic version but either way I had them scale it down to a 3 gallon AG version since i brew on my stovetop. I'm using a 4-5 gallon kettle on the stove (gas) so I wasn't sure if I would be able to mash in it with the appropriate amount of water but it seemed to work out. The total grain bill was approximately 5.5 lbs.

I mashed with 2.75 gallons of water and once the grain was in, it pushed the wort within a few inches of the top. After the mash, squeezing the grain to drain it, and the 60 minute boil I had about 2 gallons of wort. I topped the fermenter off with a gallon of spring water and reached a gravity of 1.055 (the recipe OG is 1.046). My efficiency ended up being 83.75% which surprised me a bit considering it was my first go with this setup. I did have the grains double milled at the shop to be sure I gave myself the best chance at hitting my numbers.

Anyways, it's bubbling away now! Can't wait to see how it turns out! View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1503968284.082470.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1503968302.522581.jpg

That efficiency seems too high to me also. I think you may have been off on one of your measurements. The process you describe usually yields 60-65% efficiency. I only get 85-90% efficiency if I squeeze the bag, rinse those grains with that last gallon of water, then squeeze again.

Likely the water and the wort was not mixed thoroughly, and you got a sample that was higher than the true og. For future reference, you should always take a gravity sample before diluting with water as it's very hard to mix evenly. Then you can just use a dilution/blending tool or do the math yourself

Wort volume * wort gravity + water volume* 0 = blended volume * gravity

for example, in order to get the final mixture to be 1.055..

2 gallons * 82.5 + 1 gallon * 0 = 3 gallons * X

X = 2 * 82.5 / 3 = 55 => 1.055

I make 2 gallon batches all the time using anywhere from 5-7 lbs of grain which I grind to flour in blender. I mash in a round 5 gallon cooler which I pre-heat for about 1/2 hr before adding grain using about 2.9 gal of water. I usually get 80% eff on the mash w/just squeezing the bag. Two gal into my fermenter will usually get me 3 six packs.

Nice lookin kitchen. Comes with a three buck chuck too. I love doing 3 gallon batches .. quick easy fast. I use a nine gallon kettle though, so full volume mash. You can probably upgrade your kettle for $100

I agree with the others that your stated OG and efficiency are implausibly high, given your grain bill weight and water/wort volumes. At 100% conversion efficiency, the highest OG I can simulate, without a sparge, is 1.051, with a corresponding mash efficiency of 78.3%. So, you very likely have one or more errors in your volume, grain wt., and/or OG measurements. This is not uncommon, and your measurements don't have to be too far off to account for the high OG/efficiency. As noted, very thorough mixing after top up is required, as it is difficult to get the wort homogenized. And, if the wort isn't homogeneous, gravity measurements are unreliable. Accurate measurements are critical if you want to assure that you have a consistent process.

Not to worry though, minor measurement errors are unlikely to adversely affect the beer quality. Sounds like your first BIAB session was pretty darn successful.

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:
With 2.5-3 gallon batches, I get in the 80%'s for my mash efficiency (pre-boil). I calculate using the ppg's from How to Brew and do all the math in a spreadsheet and my numbers are borne out with the gravities. My results are pretty consistent. I think that the smaller batches may help the efficiency because we small-batch people still tend to boil off a large volume relative to the batch volume, which means that the mash is even wetter than most BIAB'ers. Again, I am calculating extraction efficiency, pre-boil.

With 2.5-3 gallon batches, I get in the 80%'s for my mash efficiency (pre-boil). I calculate using the ppg's from How to Brew and do all the math in a spreadsheet and my numbers are borne out with the gravities. My results are pretty consistent. I think that the smaller batches may help the efficiency because we small-batch people still tend to boil off a large volume relative to the batch volume, which means that the mash is even wetter than most BIAB'ers. Again, I am calculating extraction efficiency, pre-boil.
Yep, with higher pre-boil volumes, lauter efficiency will be improved, so 80's is doable with more strike and/or sparge water.

Brew on :mug:

Well I just bottled and it tastes great already without carbing! I thought the efficiency was really high as well and I imagine as everyone has pointed out that it wasn't throughly "blended" with the top up giving me an off reading. Either way, I really appreciate the info and compliments everyone! Ready to relax and have a homebrew after all the bottling today!

Latest posts

Back