First Belgian Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to brewing. Im down to exctract brewing for now. Please give me feedback,suggestions on my recipes.

Diablo
Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Type: Extract Date: 02/11/2011
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.02 l Brewer: Bootlegger
Boil Size: 28.00 l Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot (13 Gal/50 L) - BIAB
End of Boil Volume 22.62 l Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 21.32 l Est Mash Efficiency 0.0 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.25 kg Pale Liquid Extract (3.0 SRM) Extract 1 82.0 %
0.25 kg Dark Liquid Extract (45.0 SRM) Extract 2 4.8 %
50.00 g East Kent Goldings [7.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 29.7 IBUs
0.68 kg Candi Sugar, Clear [Boil for 60 min](0.5 SRM) Sugar 4 13.1 %
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 5 -
25.00 g Saaz [2.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 2.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787) [124.21 ml] Yeast 7 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.067 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.4 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 31.8 IBUs Calories: 427.1 kcal/l
Est Color: 6.0 SRM

When should I put the candi sugar in? I hought when the boil starts (60 min).

Thanks!

I'd cut the dark extract and use 100% Pilsner extract for your base. I'd also add up to 20% sucrose/sugar @ 10-15 minutes. Any reason you used the dark malt? The boil will add some SRM so no need to worry about meeting any kind of minimums there, especially since you're using extract which IMLO turns out darker than grain.

Saaz even at 25g @ 5 min won't impart a strong hop flavor so I think that could be a good addition for complexity (sounds tasty to me!)

3787 is one of my favorites. Leave it be for 3 weeks pitching cold and raising it up in 3-5 days. It is a slow fermenting strain but my it is damn good.

What do you want it to taste like? It could be a perfect recipe, or it could be total junk, but we can't tell the difference as we don't know what you're aiming for.

GuldTuborg said:
What do you want it to taste like? It could be a perfect recipe, or it could be total junk, but we can't tell the difference as we don't know what you're aiming for.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess he wants it to taste like Diablo golden strong ale..

DannPM: The dark malt extract was for color yes. Ill stick only with the light its 3 SRM.

Are you saying All the candi sugar should de in for the last 10 mins only? or I should add more later on?

Guldtuborg : Aiming for something like the Duvel, Belgian Golden Strong but doesnt have to really respect the style I'm not entering any competition here.

Bottlebomber : Didn't know there was one already named Diablo lol

Bb, you can really add the sugar at any point in the boil. It will theoretically not caramelize at boiling temps in liquid. Really add it at any time but last ten is when I do it because that's how I do it.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess he wants it to taste like Diablo golden strong ale..

Huh, never heard of this before. I don't think they distribute in my area. Anyway, that the OP picked "Golden strong ale" from the Beersmith list of style choices, still doesn't tell us much.

If you're looking for a Duvel like beer, I'd drop the dark extract and make sure you get a good pilsner extract instead of just plain "light" stuff. Consider a 20 or 30 minute hop addition, too. Saaz will work there, but any of the (sometimes) cheaper American alternatives like sterling or crystal work really well, too. You can add the sugar any time, but if you want an extra dry finish, like Duvel, consider boiling the sugar in a little water and adding it to the fermentor as fermentation starts to die down.

What's your fermentation schedule? That can be very important to Belgians. (I'm not brewing any high-gravity Belgians right now because in the wintertime I don't keep the house warm enough for the 75-80 degrees I like to ferment them at.)

3787 is my absolute favorite yeast for this sort of thing, btw.

If you're looking for a Duvel like beer, I'd drop the dark extract and make sure you get a good pilsner extract instead of just plain "light" stuff. Consider a 20 or 30 minute hop addition, too. Saaz will work there, but any of the (sometimes) cheaper American alternatives like sterling or crystal work really well, too. You can add the sugar any time, but if you want an extra dry finish, like Duvel, consider boiling the sugar in a little water and adding it to the fermentor as fermentation starts to die down.

60-10 is not a bad hop schedule for a Belgian, though yeah, most of them have a 20 or so (potentially instead of later, if you're using noble hops - don't want it to taste grassy).

There's no way you can get a Duvel-like finish with extract. Only by doing a protein rest with all grain could you get your wort to attenuate that well. But pilsner extract and some sugar will definitely get you as close as your going to get.

There's no way you can get a Duvel-like finish with extract. Only by doing a protein rest with all grain could you get your wort to attenuate that well. But pilsner extract and some sugar will definitely get you as close as your going to get.

The sugar (typically about 15-25%) is an essential part of the style.

By the way, clear candi sugar is a waste of money. Get plain white sugar from the grocery store. (The darker candi sugars, which are partially caramelized versions of the same, can be made at home for less money, but you get a little less consistency than using the commercial kind and it saves a bit of effort.)

Back