First Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreadMan

Reaction score
How is it going guy's? So i'm looking at starting my first brew, But i'm not sure of what would be a good beer to start with, I'm thinking of starting with a partial mash. I know it might be diving in the deep end of Brewing but it seems like a good place to start. Does anybody have any recommendations for a simple beer to start of with? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks In Advance.

Partial mash is a good place to start. I'd go with a kit and something hoppy with some crystal or other roasted malts for a first brew. Hops and roasted malts help hide flaws in your process as you're learning the ropes.

What styles of beer do you like/prefer?

My recommandation would be to buy a kit. Brewers best has some good ones.

It gives you a good idea of the process and some detailed instructions.

My first 3 brews were kits. The first 2 I followed to a T. On the 3rd one I added my own modifications.

That was 4 months ago.. Now I've progressed to doing all grain brewing / kegging / water profiles / etc.

If you decide to do the partial mash brew (or are steeping grains), my one huge recommandation is to make sure you don't let those grains get above 175. My first brew I let the grains get up to 200 and the beer tasted pretty bad when finished.

Also, to each their own.. but Danstar Nottingham and Safale US-05 are two great yeasts that are dry and are very versital. They are pretty neutral and tough to mess up.

I would get an extract kit. Brewer's Best has some descent extract kit. I know you want to head right into partial mash or all grain, but I would recommend you get to know how the boil goes and the hop additions go before you start doing some partial mashes or all grain. That's my opinion.

BB's pale ale was a good kit and uses specialty grains..my first, and it came out great! Have fun! :mug:

Thanks For everyones advice, I am partial to anykinda beer but would prefer something more refreshing as summer is coming up. Maybe a Blonde of some description, I do really like Hobgoblin, Kwak and Rochefort 10. But i think that those maybe be a bit to much to start with. Maybe after i have 10 brews under my belt i might try one of those.

In addition to the thread on this site with partial mash instructions, here's a great video that is very helpful. There's two parts.

I'm also planning on making the small leap from extract to partial mash. Maybe a stupid question, but do you order partial mash kits online, or do you find recipes and purchase the ingredients on your own? For my extract kits, I've ordered from Midwest Supplies and everything comes included.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would go with an extract or all-grain... partial mashing was a transition point for me, but looking back, it was really space and cost that kept me away from all-grain.

go with a extract kit from northern brewer... i have had great success with all of their kits. :mug:

Latest posts

Back