First beer that failed to ferment. Saison using WLP565. What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
I've read some other threads on this Mint figured I'd chime in with my situation. That was my 6th BIAB beer I've done after a decade long break from brewing. It was the first beer where I hit every number I was going for (give or take a smidge). Preboil and OG were spot on. Pitched yeast at around 74. After sitting there for a day and a half I moved it to an upstairs bedroom and wrapped it in a winter coat where it went up to 79 or so. Now it's been sitting at about 76 for 6 days. The second day I was a couple bubbles in the airlock and that was it. I opened the bucket today and saw no krausen at all. Looked the same as it did when I sealed it.
If this makes a difference, I had a hard time keeping my burner lit while it was boiling. I had a good rolling boil for maybe 15 minutes but for most of the time the flame kept going out and I had to relight over and over. Finally it got too much so I put it on my stove top for a half hour (it is a 1.5 gallon batch so I was able to get a decent boil). The hot break never got big enough where I had to stir more than a few times and the cold break (picture) was different looking than i have ever seen. It looked more solid than anything I had done and there was a lot more trub than I've had
My question is do I pitch more yeast or abort? I just swirled the bucket and gave a light few shakes to see if I can get anything started. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1499137835.885039.jpg

What was the date on your yeast?

Don't recall but I always make sure it's fresh. I bought it a week and a half before and kept it in the fridge until brew day. I wouldn't have pitched it if it was past the expiration date. I wish the answer was that easy. I'll take a gravity reading tonight and if it hasn't moved maybe move to more drastic measures!

Well I guess I now buy into the whole "if you don't see activity in your airlock it doesn't mean it's not fermenting" thing. I believed that may be the case one in a million times but really not likely. Well I took a gravity reading today and it was at 1.008. Was supposed to be 1.013. Sure it was off but I'm happy to have learned the lesson that I never believed. Bottling next week

I believed that may be the case one in a million times but really not likely.

Probably 90% of my beers have had little to no airlock activity. It's probably because my fermenters don't have a super tight seal, but it doesn't bother me. The slightest air gap will make your airlock stop bubbling.

Back