First Beer - Primary Time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veazer

Reaction score
I've got a brewer's best smoked porter in primary right now, on monday it will have been in there for 2 weeks. Is that too early to bottle it if the FG readings are good tomorrow and monday? I'm planning another brew for next monday as well, so if it is too early to bottle I need to know sooner than later so I can go get another bucket to use as a primary fermentor for the next batch!

Give the beer 3-7 days after a stable FG is reached to clean up any by-products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then prime & bottle. You'll get less trub & yeast at the bottom of the bottles come fridge time.

As long as your SGs are stable, 2 weeks is not out-of-line for an average gravity ale. 3 weeks might help it clarify better though.
But go ahead and get that extra bucket. You will definitely reach a time when you will want 2, or 3, or more fermentations going at various stages. Keep that pipeline filled!!:mug:

3 weeks is my standard unless it's a very straightforward beer that is better young (hefes, blondes, etc.). Even if the final gravity has already been attained, give it at least two weeks to let the yeast do a little cleanup. If you are impatient and need to brew again, buy more carboys and fill them separately! :)

It depends on OG and a recipe, for a standard gravity (eg <1.060) I leave it 2 weeks in primary and then keg/bottle.

Done right, your beer might have been at FG at a week or even less and cleaned up enough to bottle at 10 days but for most of us, 2 weeks or more makes better beer. Much of the difference is the settling of the yeast once they have cleaned up the byproducts. By 4 weeks your beer will be clearer and you will have less sediment in your bottles than if you bottled at 2 weeks.

Darker beers like porters can benefit from some extra time in the fermenter but that depends on your own tastes. If it's stable bottle it and save some to taste a couple months down the road to see if you like it better younger or older. My stouts are much better with a month in fermenter and another month in the keg. But they are still mighty fine younger too.

Latest posts

Back