First beer ever...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooplander

Reaction score
I'm making my first beer and was hoping for some input on my recipe.

5 gal batch 60 min boil

6 LB pale LME
3 LB amber DME

1 oz chinook @ 60
1 oz chinook @ 30
1 oz amarillo @ 0
1 oz centennial @ 0
1 oz cascade @ 0

WLP001 california ale

I was also thinking about dry hopping with .5 oz of each hop.

My major concern is to much amber DME. Any input would be much appreciated.

.5 oz of each for a dry hop is way to much. The most you want to use on a dry hop is .5 oz. I don't use extract so hopefully someone with more experience in that area can help you on your amber question.

I would decrease the amber extract to a pound or eliminate it all together. The recipe calculator at hopville.com is a good place to start putting together recipes. Also, both midwestsupplies.com and northernbrewer.com post the full recipes for their kits and folks have reviewed them so you know what to expect. For a first brew, you should find a tried and true recipe and keep it simple.

.5 oz of each for a dry hop is way to much. The most you want to use on a dry hop is .5 oz. I don't use extract so hopefully someone with more experience in that area can help you on your amber question.

Since when is 2oz of hops too much for a dry hop? I've got an APA going with 3oz Cascade/Amarillo in the dry hop and it's smelling just fantastic.

Are you going for an IPA? Really looks like it, but that 3 lbs of Amber LME may make it a little maltier than I like mine, but if you like a more balanced IPA then go for it. Personally, if I were to make changes to your recipe for something I would brew and definitely enjoy, it would go a little something like:

9 lbs Pale LME
0.5 lb Crystal 60 - steeped for 30 minutes

And keep the hopping the same, except move that 30 min Chinook to 15 minutes. And definitely add 0.5 oz of each hop for a dry hop.

Just my $.02

eeverwine said:
That's impossible, you're way over the .5oz mark. How do you expect to get anywhere in this hobby? Jeez. :cross:

I'm a rebel, the rules don't apply to me. I even made a Doppelbock two weeks ago....AND USED ALE YEAST. Please don't report me to the ATF.

Thanks for all the input!

How about
6 LB pale LME
1 LB amber LME
1 LB dextrose

And i just downloaded Beer Smith. Its proving to be extremely handy.

Well you can learn something all the time. The most I dry hopped with was an 1oz and I couldn't tell the difference between 1oz and .5oz. So I always thought why waste a .5oz hops in a dry hop. I'll have to try dry hopping with more.

Back