First Beer Creation - Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt-tastic

Reaction score
OK, so I got a copy of BrewSmith for xmas, and have been toying with it some, but I got this wild hair to make a beer flavored with Old Bay Seasoning (if you're East Coast, you know what I'm talking about).

If you have no clue what I'm talking about: Old Bay

So, after considering styles that would pair well with the spicy, seafood-friendly flavor, I considered several lighter beers (IPA, Blonde Ale, etc) but i'm not a huge fan of IPAs, and finally settled on an Altbier. The combination of Hop and Malt character would hold up well I believe.

So, this is my recipe i've put together, and yes, it's extract/specialty grain. I'm taking it slow. Thoughts on Malt/Hop pairings, as well as suggestions for amounts or alternatives would be much appreciated!

Recipe: Old Bay Altbier
Style: Düsseldorf Altbier
TYPE: Extract

Ingredients:
------------
5 lbs Munich Malt - 20L
5 lbs Amber Dry Extract
1.25 oz Galena [11.70 %] - Boil 30.0 min
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.0 pkg German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007)
5.00 oz Old Bay Seasoning (Primary 6.0 days)

Sounds dreadful.

I highly recommend creating a simple beer first before you go all whacky with off the wall ideas.

I'm more concerned about the Altbier recipe itself. the Old Bay is an adjunct, and the beer would be perfectly fine without it.

I'm mostly curious about the base beer itself, but appreciate your input.

If you're really into the Old Bay idea, Flying Dog made a draught only Gose that had Old Bay in it. It was... not great, but I'd imagine if it could be done, a sour beer like Gose is the only thing you could get away with using it in.

Latest posts

Back