First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCacheGuy

Reaction score
Ok I finally jumped in and ordered my first kit. Question its when I ordered out asked if I wanted my grains crushed or not. do the friends need to be crushed before steeping?

the grains need to be crushed, yes
PS: you can do it yourself with a rolling pin or even empty beer bottle.

All grain or partial mash? As menerdari said yes they need crushed. Just curious what are you planning on brewing?

Ordered a kit called Whitehouse Honey Ale from one of the online stores that I used for my wine making. TY for the info guys/gals.

Those White House ales ar typically extract with steeping grains. So yes,the grains still need to be crushed. I've even used an old mini food processor to crush them. 1/2C at a time,pulse maybe 3 times of 2-3 seconds per pulse. Worked well for pm partial boil biab I did 10/9. It'll work the same for asteeping grains. Just don't get it too fine,keep it quite course.

I was able to contact the company before they shipped. asked if I could change the order to crushed. They came back and said it was taken care of.

Back