First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpwilcox

Reaction score
Just drank a bottle of my first batch of home brew!! I let it ferment for 15 days before bottling and the first bottle I tried had set for 5 weeks!! All I can say is EXCELLENT!! I made an English Brown Ale and I'm very impressed. Anyone have suggestions for my second batch? I was thinking about a cider but I'm up for different ideas. Thanks as always!!

More beer!

If you liked your English Brown Ale, I'd recommend an English Bitter. I made one as my 3rd batch and it was delicious. Also, it was a super simple brew day and was ready to drink in record time, because it was relatively low gravity. I did the Broken Spear Bitter (special edition from Northern Brewer) which was a bit darker than the picture they have for their standard British Bitter. I'm sure that one would be good too. Although, if you are interested, I could just send you the recipe from the batch I did.

Ummmm. You should probably brew something a little more conventional for your second beer.

I was kidding about the pomegranate bacon sour.

I can't believe you were interested in pomegranate bacon sour! I threw-up a little bit when I read it!

It's hard to give ideas without knowing what styles of beer you prefer. There are plenty of styles that are good for a second batch...

Broken Spear Bitter (former Northern Brewer Limited Edition recipe kit)

Specialty Grains:

- 0.25 lbs English Dark Crystal
- 0.125 lbs English Black Malt

Fermentables:

- 4 lbs Munton's Light DME

Hops:

- 1 oz UK Fuggle (60 min)
- 0.5 oz UK Kent Goldings (60 min)
- 0.5 oz UK Kent Goldings (15 min)
- 0.5 oz Styrian Goldings (15 min)
- 0.5 oz Styrian Goldings (dry hop - 7 days)

Yeast:
- Wyeast 1882 Thames Valley Ale II (I think that one was seasonal, but you can still get the 1275 Thames Valley)

Target OG: 1.035
Estimated kettle to glass time: 4 weeks

I took a tad bit longer than that. I did 13 days primary, 7 days dry hop, then about 3 weeks in bottle before it was ready. So, that was about 5 weeks total.

Typical steeping/boil/fermentaion instructions. I accidentally let the steeping grains get above 170 and it didn't seem to have any ill effects. Although, I'd defintely try to avoid that next time. And I'd use a hop bag for the dry hopping. I ended up with a few bits of hops getting siphoned into the bottling bucket and even ending up in a few bottles. It was my first dry hopping experience though, so I have learned from that.

This beer was super tasty. I have been saving a 12-pack for when I see a bunch of friends in a few weeks, but I had to tape up the box to help keep me from cracking open a few more. Even though the kit isn't available from NB anymore, I will probably brew it again. Glad I have the recipe.

signpost said:
Broken Spear Bitter (former Northern Brewer Limited Edition recipe kit)

Specialty Grains:

- 0.25 lbs English Dark Crystal
- 0.125 lbs English Black Malt

Fermentables:

- 4 lbs Munton's Light DME

Hops:

- 1 oz UK Fuggle (60 min)
- 0.5 oz UK Kent Goldings (60 min)
- 0.5 oz UK Kent Goldings (15 min)
- 0.5 oz Styrian Goldings (15 min)
- 0.5 oz Styrian Goldings (dry hop - 7 days)

Yeast:
- Wyeast 1882 Thames Valley Ale II (I think that one was seasonal, but you can still get the 1275 Thames Valley)

Target OG: 1.035
Estimated kettle to glass time: 4 weeks

I took a tad bit longer than that. I did 13 days primary, 7 days dry hop, then about 3 weeks in bottle before it was ready. So, that was about 5 weeks total.

Typical steeping/boil/fermentaion instructions. I accidentally let the steeping grains get above 170 and it didn't seem to have any ill effects. Although, I'd defintely try to avoid that next time. And I'd use a hop bag for the dry hopping. I ended up with a few bits of hops getting siphoned into the bottling bucket and even ending up in a few bottles. It was my first dry hopping experience though, so I have learned from that.

This beer was super tasty. I have been saving a 12-pack for when I see a bunch of friends in a few weeks, but I had to tape up the box to help keep me from cracking open a few more. Even though the kit isn't available from NB anymore, I will probably brew it again. Glad I have the recipe.

IM deff doing this as my next beer. sound so delicious.

Just remembered, that I actually hit 1.040 on the OG. Not sure if I just didn't top off the water enough when I poured it in the fermenter or maybe my reading wasn't accurate due to lack of mixing before taking the reading.

I was sad that it was a limited edition until I realized all I need to do is pick up those same ingredients to make it again.

Why not brew the same beer your brewed the first time and tweak it a bit more to your taste?

Congrats on your first batch too! :ban:

Haha. I'm glad you chuckled.

Believe it or not, this is the first time the words "pomegranate bacon sour" have ever been written on the internet according to Google.

Latest posts

Back