First Batch!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jp_edwards08

Reaction score
Feels Good To Finally Have My First Batch Started,

:mug:

This Is What I Used....

-----September 18,2010----- 4 PM

First Batch,
1---> 1.13kg Tin Can Of Bru Mix (PALE)
Ingredients- Hop Flavoured Malt Extract,
Caramel; Yeast
1---> 500g Bag Of Sugar Malt Light
Ingredients- Barley Malt Extract

This Is The Instructions I Followed
http://www.ehow.com/how_4671752_bru-mix-easy-way.html

:confused:

I Followed The Instructions.....

Questions Is:

I Have My 20 Litre Pail With Lid Followed By The Bubble Maker, (Can't Remember Name... :drunk:) In The Bathroom

Is That A Good Place For It????
Is There Anything I Can Add To Improve The Taste Or Is It Too Late Cuz It's In The Ferminator???
Any Advice Would Be Great!!!!

:tank:Happy Brewin!!!:tank:

congrats on the first batch. They didn't mention sanitizing the fermenter, did you? do you have a cooler place to store it, like a basement? Fermentation temperatures make a big difference. Looks like it is supposed to be a pale ale. You might check out dry hopping on the forum to add some hop nose to the beer.

It's fun to watch the bubbles in the airlock (bubbler thing), but not sure i want to do it on the can....

congrats on the first batch. They didn't mention sanitizing the fermenter, did you? do you have a cooler place to store it, like a basement? Fermentation temperatures make a big difference. Looks like it is supposed to be a pale ale. You might check out dry hopping on the forum to add some hop nose to the beer.

It's fun to watch the bubbles in the airlock (bubbler thing), but not sure i want to do it on the can....

Yes, Sorry.....

I Sanitized The Fermenter With This Stuff Called
Chlori-Clean
Contents: Chlorinated Trisodium Phosphate

I Filled Up The Bath Tub With Warm Water For Rinsing
And A Bucket Approx 8 L And Added 2 tbsp of the chlori-clean (pink stuff)

Cleaned all my equipment and bottles....

How Long Until I Should Start To See Bubbles From The Airlock????

On A Different Note I Think I'm Going To Invest In A Glass Fermintor
Because With The Plastic One You Can't Really See How This Are Coming Along With
The Ferminating

Thanks For Your Help

I'll second taking it out of the bathroom, unless it's one that you're not using. Try to keep your fermentation temps down in the mid 60's Farenheit, that will keep the esters down in your beer. As for sanitation I'd look in to picking up some Star-San or Iodophor, they are no-rinse sanitizers and are far easier and safer to use than Chlorine based sanitizers for your beer. You should be sanitizing your bucket prior to putting all your ingredients in there. Also, next time I'd use pre-boiled and cooled water instead of straight tap water.

Now, as for the bubbles... ...you may not see any bubbles in your airlock if your lid is not airtight. Use your hydrometer to check the gravity to see if your fermentation has started, if you don't have one (I'd recommend getting one) then you can pop the lid on your bucket to check for visible signs of fermentation.

I'll second taking it out of the bathroom, unless it's one that you're not using. Try to keep your fermentation temps down in the mid 60's Farenheit, that will keep the esters down in your beer. As for sanitation I'd look in to picking up some Star-San or Iodophor, they are no-rinse sanitizers and are far easier and safer to use than Chlorine based sanitizers for your beer. You should be sanitizing your bucket prior to putting all your ingredients in there. Also, next time I'd use pre-boiled and cooled water instead of straight tap water.

Now, as for the bubbles... ...you may not see any bubbles in your airlock if your lid is not airtight. Use your hydrometer to check the gravity to see if your fermentation has started, if you don't have one (I'd recommend getting one) then you can pop the lid on your bucket to check for visible signs of fermentation.

Thanks Everyone For Your Help.....

We Are On Day 2 Of Light Pale?!?!?!?!:cross:
(Havent Named It Yet.... HELP!!!) :ban:

I Can't Open The Lid When It's Fermentator Is Doing It's Thing, Right?
After The 8-10 Waiting Peroid, Then I'll Go Get A Hydrometer And Use It?
We Are Getting Bubbles!!!
After They Stop Then Your Good To Bottle Is What Some People Say To Do.....IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A HYDROMETER.....
When It Comes To Temp Devices....
I'm Using Plastic....
Is There One For A 20 Litre Pail???

Either Way I Can't Wait To Experiment With Different Brews And Ideas....
Whats Up Next?

Beer And Wiskey Mixed Together To Give You A Nice 7% More Brew
:mug:

I Can't Open The Lid When It's Fermentator Is Doing It's Thing, Right? You can open it, but sanitize the lid before you do. And don't leave it open too long, there is a blanket of CO2 over top of the beer but every time you open your fermenter you have a greater risk of infection.
After The 8-10 Waiting Peroid, Then I'll Go Get A Hydrometer And Use It? I leave all my beer in the Primary Fermenter for at least 3 weeks, your beer will be better for it. It leaves the yeast some time to clean up their mess.
After They Stop Then Your Good To Bottle Is What Some People Say To Do.....IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A HYDROMETER..... You can bottle after your Final Gravity reading is the same over a period of 3 days. If you give your beer 3-4 weeks in the primary then you can be almost assured that it's done.
When It Comes To Temp Devices....
I'm Using Plastic....
Is There One For A 20 Litre Pail??? Chest Freezer with a temp controller, or do a search for "Swamp Cooler".

Either Way I Can't Wait To Experiment With Different Brews And Ideas....
Whats Up Next? Check the Recipes section of the forums, loads of good stuff there.

Beer And Wiskey Mixed Together To Give You A Nice 7% More Brew Not my style, but I've got a 16.55% Barleywine that is bottled awaiting it's first tasting. No need for whiskey to get a high ABV.

Back