First batch worries...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDar1989

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my first batch has been in the secondary for 4-5 days and is no longer fermenting. Do I need to bottle it soon? I was planning on waiting another 7-9 days and was wondering if this will damage the beer in any way. Thanks for the help!

the only damage i forsee is the beating your liver is going to take drinking 5 gallons of beer! RDWHAHB!

Extra time will not damage your beer in any way. Time will give the yeast time to clean up after themselves. Let the beer sit a couple more weeks at least.

Usually leaving the beer in the fermenter longer will help your beer "mature" (within reason). Do you have a hydrometer? take a reading and wait a couple days and take another and see if they match. If they do active fermentation has finished, but the little yeasties still do some work cleaning up after themselves. Give them a couple weeks and your beer will taste better. patience grasshopper, patience.

All the crap you hear about "fresh" beer does not really apply to homebrew. A little patience and time are key ingredients to good beer, especially when you are just getting started.

Two weeks at least until you bottle. Two or three weeks in bottles to condition.

Was your beer done fermenting BEFORE you transferred it to secondary.

Secondary fermentation is a misnomer. It is really for clearing up the beer. No fermentation should really be taking place in most beers.

You need to let the ferment finish, That is gravity reading that are the same over three days, THEN transfer (if you want to, it is not necessary). Then leave it alone for another week or two then bottle.

When you do bottle, wait 2 weeks before cooling ONE for 2 days. If it is not tasty and well carbonated wait another week and try ONE. etc.

Back