First Batch Sparge - 71% Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyxator

Reaction score
Ok, I just did my first batch sparge yesterday, and ended up with 71% efficiency. This is about what I was getting with fly sparging. It's not bad, but I would like it to be better, and I think I'm beginning to suspect either my thermometer or the amount of sparge water I used.

My recipe had a 13.75 lb grist, and my final quarts per pound ratio was 1.33. My initial runnings amounted to a little less than 3 gallons, and I sparged with 4 gallons of water. My problem is that I don't want to boil away too much more than 1.5 gallons, so I have to limit my sparge water as a result, and this brings me to my first batch sparging question.

Does the rule of 1/2 gallon per pound of grain still apply, and does anyone actually use that much sparge water on higher gravity beers?

I also have a new thermometer coming in the mail. I'm tired of the analog one I have even if it is working.

As a side note, I'm very, very confident in my LHBS grain crush.

Did you test your runnings to make sure you were at 1.020 or lower? I usually sparge until I hit that number and if I do have to have 2 boils, such is life. Usually only a gallon in the other anyway. 71% isn't bad at all for batch sparging, but if you can fly, why batch? Fun?

RS

Why batch? Less time, equal efficiency, more forgiving. The easiest way to increase batch efficiency is to sparge a bit hotter so that you raise the grainbed temp up into the 160's F. Also break your batch sparge infusion into two equal sizes. I only boil for 70 minutes and I just hit 92% brewhouse.

RedSun said:
Did you test your runnings to make sure you were at 1.020 or lower? I usually sparge until I hit that number and if I do have to have 2 boils, such is life. Usually only a gallon in the other anyway. 71% isn't bad at all for batch sparging, but if you can fly, why batch? Fun?

RS

Time and ease. I batch sparged for about 15 minutes, where I would spend at least an hour doing a good fly sparge. To answer your question, no I didn't check the runnings because I pretty much maxed out my boiling capabilities.

I don't think I have enough patience to run two seperate boils, since they would have to be one at a time.

I tried to hit 170F for my sparge water, but I'm beginning to question my thermometer. All things considered, I may just have to settle for a little less efficiency on the higher gravity beers.

Bobby_M said:
Why batch? Less time, equal efficiency, more forgiving. The easiest way to increase batch efficiency is to sparge a bit hotter so that you raise the grainbed temp up into the 160's F. Also break your batch sparge infusion into two equal sizes. I only boil for 70 minutes and I just hit 92% brewhouse.

I think I'll try this next time. I did the stir, wait 5 minutes thing for a total of 15 minutes. Would you recommend doing 15 minutes for both infusions of sparge water?

I've only batched, but to go to the trouble of setting up a fly system seems like that would be an evolution rather than an intermediate step on the way to batching. I'm certainly not ambitious enough to bother with fly myself, hence the interest in moving away from it.

If your first runnings were 3 gallons and you plan to sparge another 3.5, break the batch infusions down to 1.75g each. Dump the water in, stir, vorlauf, then drain. Then do it again. I don't do any waiting. I start vorlaufing as soon as I feel like I got it well stirred.

Back