First batch quandries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldfish

Reaction score
First tiem home brewer. Decided to start off simple using a Coopers kit for my first batch (simple enough to get the feel for the process).

Used the Coopers Wheat kit for my first batch. Everythign was fine at first. After about 8 hours the airlock was bubbling non stop. Next morning there as next to 0 airlock activity. Stirred up the batch a bit and the airlock took off again, although not as strongly as the first time.

Since it slowed down (around day 3), from there I have had 0 air lock activty. My OG was a 1050 and my SG has remained constant lately at around 1016.

The instuctions with the kit said that OG should be about 1040 and to bottle at about 1006.

In your seasoned opinions should I wait a few more days and see if something happens or should I go ahead and bottle assuming the hydrometer is off?

Note: Sample taken smells and tastes like the wheat beers im used to getting at the bar. (only flatter)

Did you adjust for temp on the hydrometer?

It can't hurting waiting since it is pretty green at only 3-4 days old. I ferment 7-10 days in a primary bucket, and then rack to a secondary carboy for several weeks.

Patience pays off, it's just tough filling the pipeline.

1) didn't realize you had to adjust for temp. Would you happen to have a simple formula for?

2)I shoud've been more specific time wise. Today actually is day 7 with no real change since day 4. That's why I'm beginning to worry about readings.

Since your OG was a bit high, and you haven't adjusted for temperature, you can expect your unadjusted FG to be a bit high as well. If fermentation activity has stopped, and the gravity is staying constant, you can bottle. That said, it never hurts to be a little patient as EdWort suggests.

Thanks for the replys all.

Ima give bottling a shot tommorrow and hope for the best.

/em prays for no exploding bottles.

Back