First batch, high fg reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiesty

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
So I have a pumpkin porter in the primary right now, it has been in there for two weeks. I took a hydro reading today as I haven't seen much activity in a few days. My OG was a bit low from the start, was supposed to be 1.057, I was at about 1.053. Today my hydro reading was at about 1.020 (should be 1.014-1.018). I tasted the sample and it was a bit bland for a porter with a bit of an boozy overtone.

Any ideas why the reading is a bit high in this case? Is it still too young? Should I try some yeast nutrient? I don't believe it to be infected as we were pretty religious with the procedures. Any ideas would be appreciated!

What yeast are you using? How warm was the beer during fermentation? My pumpkin porter started at 1.055 and came down to 1.019 so I don't think you're really out of range here (and I used Wyeast 1968.) With those gravity numbers you would be under 5% ABV so I am also perplexed on the boozy overtones. I'd suggest you to pick up the bucket or carboy and gently swirl it around to get yeast into suspension and hopefully wake it up. Just don't over-do it since you don't want to splash it around and potentially introduce oxygen at this state. I would also try to get the temperature up to the higher range specified for the yeast since they would also be more active. Last scenario would be to pitch additional yeast if it still doesn't move (but again, I'm not sure you are going to come down that much.)

I forget the specific strand of yeast, but I've kept it around 67f which was the ideal range it specified. If it means anything the fermentation began very quickly (within 12 hours) and the high krausen was pretty vigorous. Fermentation went on for well over a week. So I am a bit perplexed. I shall bring the temperature up a bit and try and swirl the beer.

Extract?
Depending on the freshness of the extract, how well you aerated and the pitch rate/freshness of the yeast it may very well be done. Give it a few more days, warm it up and rouse the yeast and see if it will drop a few points.

Yes it is an extract kit. Colour was a dark brown, was supposed to be black however...I'm upping the temps and will leave it another week before I bottle. I'm still seeing a tiny bit of activity through the airlock, so here's hoping!

So after putting the temperature up a bit and giving the carboy a bit of a rock (being careful not to splash too much around), the airlock is bubbling again at about 1 bubble/45 seconds. Is this a good sign, or did I just aerate the beer again....Keeping in mind the beer has been in there for 2 weeks now.

Well this morning I'm still getting a bubble every 90 seconds or so. Not sure if that's much but it's something!

Back