First Batch... help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy6026

Reaction score
A have a few questions:

1) I pitched my yeast 15-20 minutes ago and nothing is happening yet. Is it ruined?

2) However, if I push down hard on the bucket lid my airlock gurgles and bubbles like crazy - does that mean it's almost done?

3) My instructions say I can bottle this in 2 days. I have to go to a funeral on Friday, so is it ok if I bottle it tomorrow instead?

4) My bunghole fell inside my carboy, and my girlfriend thinks she dropped her car keys in there too. Can I use my old fishing rod to get them out - don't worry, I'll scrape the old worm residue off from 3 summers and sanitize it.

5) There's this funky stuff that's the color of the death-star on the bottom of my carboy - is it ok if I roll up my pants and squish my toes in it while saying 'eeewwwwww'?

6) Now that I mention that funky stuff... can I eat it? Will it get me drunk?

7) I'm fermenting in my bottling bucket, boiling in my carboy, and drinking out of my grandma's hat. Is my beer ruined?

8) I opened a bottle 3 hours after bottling it. I heard a 'tssst', but the beer was flat. Do I need to open them all and pitch yeast into each one?

9) My house has filled up with starsan foam to the point of not being able to enter for at least another 48 hours. Did it likely kill my yeast and/or my cat?

10) I'm hoping to brew this weekend. It's kinda chilly out, so is it ok if I fire up two propane burners and a charcoal bar-b-que in my basement and have brew day down there, or do I risk spilling wort on the rugs that SWMBO got me for Xmas?

This post is brought to you in the spirit of simply being fun things that new brewers worry about. I was brand spanking new about a year ago too, so am not far from having posted questions along these lines. One thing I've loved a lot about brewing and Homebrewtalk is how much you learn with each batch. Happy new year everyone! :drunk:

Back