First batch brewed, but still have questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesd25

Reaction score
So I brewed my first batch of beer last night and it was alot of fun. I followed directions for everything. After I cooled the wort I used a funnel to pour into carboy, when i saw beer this morning there was a layer of funk at the bottom. is this normal? thanks for the advice.

Totally normal. You are seeing all the break material from the boil settle out and once the beer is done fermenting the yeast will settle out on top of that and it's all called trub.

Now be patient, monitor fermentation temperatures and leave it alone for 10-14 days. Be sure to keep an eye on the airlock in case it begins to get plugged and you need to use a blow off tube.

Cheers and congrats on the first batch!

Thanks for the replies, as far as the air lock goes how do you know if it becomes plugged? Also do you ever have to add water back into the air lock? I filled mine to fill line and it looks as if it had gone down. Sorry for all ?'s just hope its right. And thanks again for the advice.

At least keep it near the fill line. And cheap vodka is better than water in the airlock. Water can harbor nasties & one suckback will be bad. Nasties get into the vodka & die of alcohol poisoning. Click click boom nasties!

Watch the krausen, which is a thick layer of foam that will soon appear on top of your beer. If it reaches the airlock, or even really within an inch of it, it's time to rig a blowoff tube. If the krausen isn't by your airlock you have no worries about it getting clogged.

Keep the airlock lid on and you shouldn't have to add more water/vodka except maybe if you're going for 4+ weeks in the primary.

my beer is now fermenting like crazy, the yeast are working and the airlock sounds like a second hand on a clock. the krausen is slowly getting thicker, if i do need to rig up a blow back or whatever its called how do i go about doing so? thanks for the help!

Hopefully a pic will help.

In the end I didn't need the blowoff and replaced with an airlock after a couple days.

2012-12-03_15-33-16_923-57772.jpg

I have a 3 piece airlock, can i hook up my blowoff tube to it or should i put it directy into the bung and run it to a milk jug of water? if i do run it to the jug how much water/vodka should i put in the jug? my krausen is getting close to airlock and dont want the mess. Thanks for quick responses this forum is a life saver!

Either or should be fine... I've done both depending on how much Krausen i had when i realized that a blowoff tube was needed.

should i put tap water in the jug im using for blowoff? or should i mix with star san? or use vodka? just didnt know what was ok to use and the least expensive. also how much water or whatever i should use do i put in the jug? thanks for responses.

should i put tap water in the jug im using for blowoff? or should i mix with star san? or use vodka? just didnt know what was ok to use and the least expensive. also how much water or whatever i should use do i put in the jug? thanks for responses.

Water will work, I use starsan in the blowoff container. Vodka would work, but seems wasteful. You only need enough liquid to keep the end of your blowoff tube submerged.

Basically, the blowoff needs to do two things: a) prevent O2 from getting into your beer and b) allow any C02 and excess krausen to escape.

Back