First batch bottled!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasrj

Reaction score
Hey folks, just finished up bottling my first batch, a nut brown ale extract. OG of 1.055, couldn't get the FG below 1.018, although I was shooting for 1.014. I'm sure it'll be fine, though. Should be a hair under five percent abv.

Roped my younger sister into helping me bottle (she's 12). Told her I wanted to spend some quality time with her :D In her words: "Since when is bottling beer quality time? What ever happened to playing frisbee?"

Anyway, I ended up getting my bottles from the redemption center down the road, paid double the deposit for 'em, but under five bucks for two cases beats paying shipping plus ten bucks a case from an online supplier. I found twist-offs in the bunch, but it was too late to do anything about them, so I went ahead and tried capping them anyway. I'm using a handheld capper. The caps stayed on, but I'm not too sure they'll hold any pressure. I guess we'll see. Anyone have any experience with this?

My wing capper is homicidal - It decapitates twist-off bottles :rockin:
I've read threads that some are successful capping twist-off bottles with a bench capper, though.

Congrats on the first batch! I'm sure your beer will be just fine!

It's hard to come by non twist off beer bottles where I'm at (Edmonton, Canada). So I bottled a half batch in the twist off bottles. I did a lot of searching and reading on here and from what I gather they will work just fine.

I have a bench capper and they are no different to cap than the normal style bottles. I'm confident they seal just the same. I did some of my own tests..putting coke in a beer bottle then after capping it and shaking it I submerged it to see if there were any bubbles. There weren't.

The reasons that people don't like them is because they don't play nice with some hand held cappers, and I read that the US twist off bottles are more fragile than the Canadian ones. But if you didn't have any broken bottles from capping them I'd say you should be fine.

Back