First All Grain...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kb2kir

Reaction score
I am attempting my first all grain this weekend. I will be following Bobby_M's two kettle tutorial. My recipe will be 11 lbs Breiss American two row pre-crushed malt for a five gallon batch. My question is: Is this all I will need to make basic beer (beside hops and yeast)?
Joe

Seems like a pretty basic recipe to have only a single malt in there. However it is done sometimes. Depends on the style of beer you want to make. You could do a smash recipe, single malt/single hop.

Unless you want a fairly bland beer, I would suggest adding at least a pound of Munich and maybe some Crystal 10-20 for a little body. It depends what style of beer you're looking to make. There are lots of recipes on this forum, so you can pick one and go from there.

You can make a very good beer with 2-row, hops and yeast. Search SMaSH brewing around here. One grain doesn't = bland. If anything toss a pound or two in the oven at 250ish for 30 minutes or so to toast it.

Oh, you will also need water :p

Thanks for the help guys...I will toast some of the grain before starting.
Sounds like a great Idea!! I will try to use some water also (irregular...)
Another person posted a similar question, and answered some of mine in the process. At least now I know it can produce a basic beer at low cost.

I have beer !!! (I think) Early, I know but I filled a bathroom cup and took a taste, not bad so far....
One question: I notice a fair amount (almost up to the spigot) of sediment in the primary and also in the sample.
Would it hurt, or would it be OK to rack at this time to get the beer off the junk at the bottom.. It has been 3 days since pitch and fermentation is ongoing.

That's not junk in the bottom, that's yeast and it's doing its best to make your beer taste really good. Let it finish the job and it will eat up some of the partially digested stuff it left behind in its rush to eat up all the free sugar. It really needs at least another week just as it is and 2 would make better tasting and clearer beer.

Leave it alone! Just let it do it's thing until it stops fermenting (check with your hydrometer) I usually let mine sit at a minimum 2 weeks if not even up to a month before I start moving it around. The yeast needs to do it's thing. It will be fine. RDWHAHB.

Back