First All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madtown1

Reaction score
It was my first AG day yesterday...a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone. Everything went as planned except for the cracked thermo and the broken pump. We were off two points on our OG (under) and our brewhouse efficiency was about 80%...I felt solid first run. The whole process took alot longer than we had inticipated...thank you broken pump... so we had to chill the keggle in a bank of snow. I guess the lesson here is that you just have to roll with whatever happens and adapt.

I can't wait to do it again in a couple weeks...with a new pump...ha ha ha....

My bad... I guess I could have elaborated more...
We have two keggles we made...one for HLT, the other for a brew pot, a 70qt. Coleman extreme cooler as a mashtun (yes...it's blue), a kick a banjo propane burner and an immersion chiller. We were going to use a bucket of cold water and a pump to circulate water through the immersion chiller, but the pump broke...snow bank.

Recipe called for 20lb. of 2-row pale malt and 2.5lb of crystal malt (60L)
We had a SG of 1.050 (shooting for 1.052) for 14 gallons of wort (preboil) that we got down to 12.5 gallons (post boil).

Hop schedule:
0.75oz Magnum 13.1 AA (60min)
1 oz Perle 6.5 AA (30min)
2 oz Cascade 7.5 AA (10 min)
3 oz Cascade 7.5 AA (flameout)

The water here in Madison is very hard and has a high alkalinity as well. We plan on dry hopping 1 oz. of Cascade in one of the secondaries. Obviously we are not using Sierra's exact recipe or system but once all is said and done, we'll get some of the SNPA and have a taste test to try to distinguish the difference that water chemistry makes and the difference between the two secondaries of beer.

Any suggestions??

Back