First All Grain Soon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccs1676

Reaction score
Hey guys I will be attempting my first all grain batch in a couple weeks or so and have some questions.

1. Will a plastic mash paddle suffice? I have not had a chance to inspect what they have at AHS but I am concerned about the flimsiness of what they list on their site. I want to make red oak mash paddle with a nice design I found online but might want to wait until I have a dremel handy. Also, that red oak is quite expensive! Does anyone have a link to a nice wooden mash paddle that I can buy online?

2. I am willing to get some 5.2, irish moss and yeast nutrient just to be sure but I'm wondering if some of these things are only necessary for certain recipes or are fine for all?

I think I am ready to go with my first AG batch, just need to put my MLT together and check for leaks, etc. but I am ready!!

Chris

You're waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy overthinking this! Forget the "mash paddle." Just mix with a long plastic spoon. Irish Moss is good, and I recommend using 5.2 stabilizer. Yeast nutrients are OK, but not necessary IMHO. As the Nike Ads say: Just Do It ! Write down your steps beforehand and follow them. The most important thing is to maintain the proper fermentation temps and keep things sanatized.

Excellent. Yeah I'm really not too worried about it. I'm sure everything will work out. My first two brews were extracts and went fine, but had that "twang" I keep reading about. Hopefully the AG will solve that.

The wooden mash paddle would be a nice little side project to work on, that would make home brewing even more fun.

I got the temp controller for fermenting so I am good there! And I don't fear the foam!!

Excellent. Yeah I'm really not too worried about it. I'm sure everything will work out. My first two brews were extracts and went fine, but had that "twang" I keep reading about. Hopefully the AG will solve that.

The wooden mash paddle would be a nice little side project to work on, that would make home brewing even more fun.

Unfortunately for me, that "twang" was poor temp control and POS yeast haha.

Hey, every project like that just makes your brewing experience more unique and truely yours...go for it!

Sounds like you are going through the same panic most everyone one of us went through prior to our first AG batch. You should be good without the paddle or other additives. A regular old spoon.....or broom stick.....or whatever should work fine. It is key to have written instructions or procedures before hand so that you don't miss somethings simple. Relax, have a beer, and follow your instructions, and you'll be fine. The twang will go away for good.

Sounds like you are going through the same panic most everyone one of us went through prior to our first AG batch. You should be good without the paddle or other additives. A regular old spoon.....or broom stick.....or whatever should work fine. It is key to have written instructions or procedures before hand so that you don't miss somethings simple. Relax, have a beer, and follow your instructions, and you'll be fine. The twang will go away for good.

Thanks for that link Pappers!

There are actually some pretty thick red oak dowels at home depot that I was considering getting that I thought would work well, I might still do that.

I agree with the written instructions. I made my own instructions with the extract brews I made, it really helps to follow instructions that you have written yourself. Oh, and I will be for sure be RDWHAHB'ing the whole time, that's a given!!

Back