First All Grain IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imperialipa

Reaction score
I got this recipie from Northern brewer. I would like to modify it a bit to facilitate dry hopping. So looking at this recipie any reccomendations on how many hops to use and what type?

I was thinking adding another 0.5 oz of cascade or Centinial in the 2ndary for the last 10 days of conditioning.

Also thinking of possibly mashing in at 150 instead of 152. I love the dry crisp IPA with a obvious hop aroma and taste in the front.

Have not calculated the IBU's yet. I'll have to dive into my Palmer book and figure out all that mess.

MASH INGREDIENTS
-- 12 lbs. Rahr Pale Ale Malt
-- 1 lbs. Briess Caramel 40
-- 4 oz. Briess Carmel 80
MASH SCHEDULE: SINGLE INFUSION
Sacch’ Rest: 152° F for 60 minutes
Mashout: 170° F for 10 minutes
BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES
1 oz. Yakima Magnum (60 min)
1 oz. Centennial (15 min)
1 oz. Cascade (15 min)
2 oz. Warrior (0 min)
YEAST
WYEAST #1056 AMERICAN ALE YEAST. Optimum temperature: 60-72°F
BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES
-- 1 oz. Yakima Magnum (60 min)
-- 1 oz. Centennial (15 min)
-- 1 oz. Cascade (15 min)
-- 2 oz. Warrior (0 min)
YEAST
WYEAST #1056 AMERICAN ALE YEAST.
Optimum temperature: 60-72°F

Interesting seeing the Warrior as a 0min hop. Usually I see it as a bittering, but I've never used it myself. I think Cent's or Cascade both sound good for dry hop. I'd go for Cascade, or just do both.

I would take half of that warrior flame out addition and add it between 5-8 minutes. go with 1 oz cascade pellets for ten days, and eliminate the secondary step. Just go one month primary and add hops in the last ten days.

that would mellow out the IBU's correct? by adding it 5-8 min instead of at flame out? In my book warrior is a nittering. Its like 17% so pretty high compared to a 5% cascade.

I think your original ideas are fine. Give 'em a try.

You really don't have to secondary unless you want to. You can just toss them into your primary. And dry hopping won't affect your IBU's. It's just for aroma.

But go ahead with your original plan. It should be just fine.

You might consider Munich instead of the Caramel 40. Caramel 40 and 80 might be slightly sweet... don't know if you want that. I'm a big fan of Simcoe at the flameout and a dry hop spot, but that's just personal preference. Warrior may be interesting.

I agree to not worry about a Secondary and just dry hop in the primary.

that would mellow out the IBU's correct? by adding it 5-8 min instead of at flame out? In my book warrior is a nittering. Its like 17% so pretty high compared to a 5% cascade.

It would actually increase the IBUs slightly, but you won't get any real bittering out of it, its just for aroma. 0-15min will be more aroma. 15-20min will give you flavor. I don't really know why you'd want to do 5min rather than flameout, seems like they'd be pretty similar, you'd maybe just get a little more flavor out of it. Honestly with it being such a high %, it may be a better idea to keep it at flameout, so you don't utilize ANY IBUs from it.

You could consider moving your Cent to 20, and Cascade to 10, but its probably better to do as-is, and see what you think.

The Munich isn't a bad idea. You definitely don't want too much sweetness from the crystal malts in an IPA.

I will mash at 150. Put in the warrior at flame out and add 1/2 oz of cascade in primary... I'll post in a month and let everyone kow how it turns out!

1-2oz is usually ideal for an American IPA. I did 2.5oz in my Chicamarillo IPA that I'm bottling tonight. I'm really interested to see how the combo of 1oz Amarillo, 1oz Cascade & .5oz of Chinook flows together. Maybe I should just tap the rest of my other keg, and put it on tap.....then I'd have a dry hopped & non-dry-hopped of the same IPA side-by-side.

Good luck! I wish it wasn't so cold, so I could still brew up a batch of Porter. I'm getting really anxious!!

I will mash at 150. Put in the warrior at flame out and add 1/2 oz of cascade in primary... I'll post in a month and let everyone kow how it turns out!

Good for you!

And please be sure to let us know how it turned out. I love IPA's, so I'm interested. :mug:

I don't really know why you'd want to do 5min rather than flameout, seems like they'd be pretty similar, you'd maybe just get a little more flavor out of it.

i guess to clarify, a hop addition between 5-8 will maximize aroma, if your gonna use 2 ounces , might aswell get all you can out of it.

Refer to to the Hop Utilization Chart.:mug:

Also, throw your dry hop pellets in a smalll mesh bag, if you didnt already know.

Well I brewed this weekend. Couple notes. I added the wrrior into the last 5 min of boil instead of at flame out. Beersmith put my IBU's pretty high so well see.

During mash temp was 160 so I had to add cold water to get it to 151. But then it stayed pretty constant.

Used 2 oz of leaf hops. What a mess. Is there a way in the boil to keep them from stopping up my spigot when draining. Put them in a bag maybe?

Color looks great and its bubbling away currently. I'll let you know how it turns out

Ya, during the boil, using a bag to contain the leaf hops is a good idea. Make sure they aren't cammed in there; they should be able to float around a little bit while still being contained by the bag. You'll need a bag for each addition. Unless you want to use a long nylong bag and just hang the opening over the side of the pot and keep putting additions in the one bag. Either way, a bag is the way to go to contain the particles.

Sounds like it went pretty well. I'm looking forward to hearing how it ends up.

Well its been two weeks in primary. Measured FG and its 1.020... Was supposed to hit 1.018... Next time might need to do a yeast starter to get a more agressive fermentation. The flavor is great after 2 weeks. Hoppy and smooth. Color looks good. Its a bit cloudy but hopefully 4 more weeks in the 2ndary will take care of some of that.

While it clears will the gravity drop any more as more sediment falls out or is 1.020 about as good as its going to get?

1.018 would have put me over 7% ABV :)

I'll post again in 4 weesk with my final assessment and any recipie tweeks I might recommend

You should leave it in primary for another couple of weeks to allow the yeast to clean up after themselves. No need for a secondary really.

This thread is making me thirsty for summer! I am interested in seeing how this turns out also, so, subscribed!

The northernbrewer recipie said to leave it primary 1-2 weeks. Secondary 2-3 weeks and condition for a week.

I have read in placed that leaving in primary too long can give you offsetting flavors. Whats the cutoff? I would imagine leaving it in primary for another week probably would not have hurt the flavor.

Many of us leave our brews in primary for well over a month, the idea that leaving it on the yeast will cause a yeasty flavor is sort of an outdated concept. Eventually it can be an issue but its not as problematic as it once was.

I would recommend that you dont use a secondary at all, just leave it in primary for 6 weeks and then bottle.

primary for a 4-5 weeks and bottle, your beer will thank you for sure, last 7 days throw a 1 gallon nylon paint strainer bag in with your dry hops and bottle after the 7 days, carb wait wait wait wait wait enjoy. trust leaving it in primary, it works.

I just did a milk chocolate stout and room temp carbed it for 10 days then let it sit in fridge 3 more days and that seemed just about right.

I think I might have made a mistake on dry hop. I put 0.5 oz of Mt Hood 5.2% hops in when I transferred (just dropped them in no bag). So those hops will be in there for 4 more weeks. Guess I'll see how it turns out.

Nice thing is I'm learning alot on how to tweek this batch. I'm sure it will taste fine. But round two I can already see alot of changes I will be making...

Ok had my first taste of he IPA.. Wow it is good. Its bitter anf hoppy. This is not a IPA for the faint of heart. This warrior hops give it some serious bite. Final grabity was 1.018 so its about 7% alcohol. I will defintely be brewing this again!

Back