First All-Grain in many years: Elevenses Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taoisilent

Reaction score
Hey Brew Brothers,

My First-New-Batch https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/brewing-again-after-5-years-458853/ after my long brewing absence is now bottled after 22 days in primary. That was an extract batch, NB’s Caribou Slobber, scaled down to 3 gallons. But I’m anxious to get back to All-Grain brewing, and my past experience with batch-sparging has convinced me that I can easily do 3 gallons right on the stove with a 5 gallon cooler mash tun, using a voile bag I procured from Wilson as a false bottom.

So here’s my first foray back into AG

Northern Brewer John Palmer’s Elevenses Ale: British Mild March 3, 2014

3 Gallons (Scaled from 5 Gallon Recipe kit)

3.67 lbs Marris Otter
0.67 lbs Briess Caramel 60
0.67 lbs Weyermann Oak-Smoked Wheat Malt
0.33 lbs (5.33 oz) English Brown Malt
0.22 lbs (3.52 oz) Flaked Oats
0.17 lbs (2.67 oz) Chocolate Malt

First, I heated 7 Quarts of strike water to 170° and added to the grains, stirring well. I nailed my mash temp of 154, and lost half a degree at the end of the hour.

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0091.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg

I next added 4.25 quarts of 200° water for my first sparge, hoping to get half my boil volume in the first runnings. Collected a little over 8 quarts into the brew kettle. 1st runnings: 1.068.

For the second batch, I added 9.5 quarts of 170° sparge water to bring my pre-boil volume to 4.5 gallons. 2nd runnings: 1.020. Combined pre-boil volume: 1.038

Brought to boil and added 0.4 oz (11 Grams) German Northern Brewer. Boiled for an hour.

At the end of the hour, my volume was a little over 3.5 gallons, and I cooled in an ice bath (2 additions of ice and rock salt) in the sink for about an hour and fifteen minutes to get it down to pitching temperature. Target OG: 1.045. Actual OG: 1.046!

Aerated the wort in my carboy manually shaking and rolling for about 5 minutes, and then pitched a very swollen Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley Ale activator pack.

From start to finish, including cleanup: 5 hours.

I can’t say how happy I am to be brewing again after all these years! What a blast :)

IMAG0106.jpg

IMAG0109.jpg

IMAG0075.jpg

IMAG0076.jpg

Ooo, the big mouth bubbler! Are those plastic or glass??

That beer sounds and looks delicious, welcome back!

It's glass, and oh so EASY to clean. One of the best purchases I've ever made. The plastic lid seems on the cheap side, but the benefits currently outweigh the faults. I am quite pleased overall.

I made a conscious decision that I would only start brewing again as long as it was low-tech, low-stress, and easy to clean-up. This fermenter fits this new philosophy quite well. Brewing in smaller batches easily done in the kitchen also fits. When I was doing 5 gallon batches outside on the propane burner, it would usually take me 7 or more hours from start to finish, and I would be exhausted at the end. It started to not be fun.

Now I can brew small, and brew often, and it's so much more enjoyable!

Welcome back, I brewed that recipe with an addition of peat smoked malt. I called it Shire Ale after JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and Hobbit books. It was definitely one of my best.

When I was doing 5 gallon batches outside on the propane burner, it would usually take me 7 or more hours from start to finish, and I would be exhausted at the end. It started to not be fun.

Now I can brew small, and brew often, and it's so much more enjoyable!

You had 7 hour brew days for a single 5 gallon batch? Damn that's a long day! My average 5 gal all-grain batch is about 4 hours start to finish and that is long enough. I couldn't imagine tacking on another 3 hours unless I was doing 2 batches back to back. Welcome back!

Welcome back to the fold, brother! Gonna be a good beer. congratulations

-ben

Thanks for the welcome everyone! 7 days and fermentation is done, but I'll leave it in primary for at least two more weeks before I bottle. My extract Caribou Slobber has now been in the bottle 7 days. No tasting till 4 weeks!

Good thing I have plenty of store-bought in the fridge :)

Let us know how the Elevenses turns out. I plan on brewing that next week in preparation for the Game of Thrones premier in April.

Latest posts

Back