first all grain in a while

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

like2brew

Reaction score
hello all, should be doing my first all grain in a few years this weekend(if it arrives in mail). i've done a few in the past with some help using the continous sparge method. i will be using the batch sparge method because to me it seems a little easier. I ordered the american ipa and coffee stout from austin homebrew. do the kits come with mash in temps and hop addition times, or how much water to mash in/out and sparge with? from al the reading i have done it seems to be 1.1 quart per pound of grain for mash in, after that is it a 2 gallon sparge and then whatever it takes to make 6 gallons of wort for a mash out? before the weekend i'm gonna get my mash tun ready using a method i saw on you tube (don osborn). i don't feel i'm in over my head because i have the concept under control...just wanted to dial in water measurements before i attempt. thanks for any input

Hey! Welcome back to the addiction!

1)
like2brew said:
do the kits come with mash in temps and hop addition times

I've had comes come with mash temps and others that havn't. In case it's the latter then I would just look up similar recipes and use those mash temps. The hop schedule should be included.

2)
how much water to mash in/out and sparge with?

That depends. Common sparge volumes are between 1.5-2.0 qts/lb however depending on mash tun, grain absorbtion, and batch volume the number can fluctuate outside of that spectrum. This is my method for figuring out volumes. I find out what my grain absorption is, for this example 1.2 gal. I know how much beer I want at the end, 6 gallons. I also know I lose (where I'm at) roughly a gallon of wort per hour of boil.

So If I want 6 gallons I need 6+1+1.2 = 8.2 gallons of water. I sometimes go a little over this volume to account for wort left uncollected. So in this case I would probably strike with 4 gallons and sparge twice with 2.3 gallons. If you dont like doing two sparges then just add them together and sparge with 4.6 gallons.

Hope this info helps! If you are still confused just let me know what your grain bill is and I'll help you figure it out.

awesome, thanks. i'm still (im) patiently waiting for my order. it says april 5 but im hoping it gets here earlier

did the stout today. it came with the mash instructions and hop additions so i was good to go...it ended up being 1.25qt to the pound. i sparged twice...once with 3 gallons and then with two.i reached my 6 gallon mark in the pot and shut off the faucet, theres wasn't much left in the tun as far as water goes. its in the fermenter now so we'll see how it goes. next up is the american ipa(tue or wed). thanks for the help

Back