First All Grain Experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ailstock

Reaction score
So I just did my first all grain brew this weekend.
The beer turned out great os I think, haha.
This is the recipe I did: Experimental IPA

As the recipe states, the OG is supposed to be 1.071, but what I actually got was 1.090.
My question is, is that a bad thing? Do I want my FG to be lower or higher then predicted FG according to the recipe?

Well, the link brings up a blank page for me??

As for wanting the FG to be lower or higher, you want it to be wherever it ends up. You don't have much say in that unless you do something to stop the yeast.

If your OG was that much higher, I can think of four things that could cause it.
1) Improper reading. The temperature of the wort for example can cause an incorrect reading. You can correct for it though if you track the temperature.
2) Your final volume was lower than the recipe calls for. Most likely most the time.
3) Your efficiency was higher than the person who posted the recipe.
4) Measured a base malt wrong or substituted for something else that brought the gravity up.

That's a pretty high OG. You might need to let that one age a bit to be at it's best.

Back