First all-grain brew! Lemon-Lime Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSpiffy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I completed a couple of extract brews, and really wanted to take the plunge into all-grain brewing, BIAB-style. I bought a larger pot (8 gallons), got some 5-gallon paint strainer bags, and got to it!

Here's the recipe I went with for a tasty summer brew: Lemon-Lime Hefeweizen

I learned about using starters for liquid yeasts, so I got my starter going on Friday, using Wyeast German Wheat 3333. The recipe calls for White Labs yeast, but my LHBS doesn't carry it, so this is their equivalent.

Since this was my first AG brew, I also used just a hair more grain than the recipe calls for, assuming my efficiency would be a bit low. Here was my grain bill:

• 6.5lbs 2-Row Pale
  • 4.25lbs White Wheat
  • 1.1lbs Vienna

So anyway, on to the photos! Here's my journey through my first AG brew day:

Part 1: Prep
I set out all of my grains, got my pot ready, and set up my thermometer.

My new 8-gallon aluminum pot! (Yes, I boiled water in it to create a protective oxidized layer first.)
Lemon-LimeHefeweizen-02.jpg

Grains:
Lemon-LimeHefeweizen-03.jpg

Grain scooper for doughing in (It's the mixing bowl from a KitchenAid stand mixer.)
Lemon-LimeHefeweizen-10.jpg

My awesome mash paddle...
Lemon-LimeHefeweizen-05.jpg

My yeast starter:
Lemon-LimeHefeweizen-01.jpg

Unfortunately, I forgot to take photos during the mash phase to show the grain in the bags. However, I will make the comment that my mesh bags were WAY too small. I actually used two separate bags to split up the grains. They were much too crowded in one bag. I'll replace them with something more-suited for the job... I did, however, hit my mash temp on the nose! I also had to add some of my sparge water, which I heated up to near-boiling, to keep the mash temp up. I did that twice, getting it to hold around 150°F - 152°F. I mashed for approximately 75 minutes to ensure full conversion. Maybe that was overkill..? I used my super-special KitchenAid mixer bowl to scoop the grains and add them slowly to the mash as I stirred with my awesome mash paddle. Having the handle on that bowl helped a lot! I stirred the mash roughly every 15-20 minutes, to ensure good contact with the grain and liquid. I'm sure this will be easier next time, when the bag I use isn't so small...

Lemon-LimeHefeweizen-08.jpg

Lemon-LimeHefeweizen-09.jpg

(Yes... BEEF!)

After mashing, I strained the wort to a bucket and then drained the two grain bags into the bucket. I used a small pot lid to squish more liquid out of the grains, which worked well. But it was hard on the hands and wrists, not to mention the lid got kinda warm! I checked the height of the liquid I managed to keep, and noticed I achieved approximately a 0.058 gallon-per-pound-of-grain water absorption rate. I'm really surprised! I was expecting more lost liquid. So, adding the sparge water seemed to put me a bit over my expected water volume, at this point. Then, I performed a dunk-sparge with the remaining sparge water, adding this to my brew kettle. Total wort volume after sparging/straining/squishing: 6.8 gallons. Yikes!

The wort:
Lemon-LimeHefeweizen-11.jpg

Pre-boil OG was measured at 1.032 @ 122°F, which they don't really list on any table for correction. But, that should put the corrected SG somewhere near 1.042 or so. That puts my efficiency right around the 65% mark. Not bad, for the first try.

After boiling for just over an hour, I finished with just over 5 gallons of liquid. I have no idea where some of it went, as I was expecting more than that. But, perhaps it was because some of it went for SG readings and other things. Post-boil SG was 1.056 @ 74°F, meaning corrected SG was nearly 1.058. It's a bit higher than the recipe called for, but that's fine. More alcohol! :drunk:

Hydrometer reading:
Lemon-LimeHefeweizen-14.jpg

Lots of cold-break protein!
Lemon-LimeHefeweizen-13.jpg

Finally in the carboy! Pitched at around 74°F.
Lemon-LimeHefeweizen-15.jpg

So, just to summarize, here were my stats:

• Total grain: 12lbs
  • Mash temp: 158°F
  • Mash time: 75 minutes
  • Strike volume: 4.5 gallons
  • Strike temp: 170°F
  • Grist ratio: ~1.5 qt/lb
  • Sparge volume: 3 gallons
  • Sparge temp: 170°F
  • Sparge time: 12-13 minutes
  • Pre-boil SG: 1.032 @ 122°F (Corrected: 1.042 @ 60°F)
  • Post-boil SG: 1.056 @ 74°F (Corrected: 1.058 @ 60°F)
  • FG: 1.007 (Expected FG: 1.016)

So, there you have it! My first AG brew! It's already bubbling away in the carboy. I made sure to put a blow-off tube on it, since I hear this particular brew can be a bit vigorous.

Any thoughts, comments, questions, or suggestions for the next go-around?

My first thought is that the grain wasn't milled finely enough for better efficiency. I just used the LHBS grain mill to crush my grains. I noticed the wheat wouldn't crush well, since it's smaller than normal malted barley. It could've also been that the grain wasn't loose enough to move around in the bags, so I lost efficiency there, too.

Love the Pic's But
One big Question Did you use any Hops? you did not list any or put in time table

I did use the hops listed in the original recipe. I only posted what I changed from the recipe, as far as the grain bill goes. Hop additions were as follows:

• .25 oz Motueka @ 60 min
  • .25 oz each Motueka and Sorachi Ace @ 20 min
  • .25 oz Sorachi Ace @ 7 min
  • .50 oz lime zest @ 5 min

Edit: I notice I put a link to page 2 of the recipe thread. It should be fixed now.

LOL! Yeah, I haven't done that, yet. A coworker started brewing recently, too. And he forgot half of the hops in his first brew, probably because he was drinking while brewing. I always lay everything out, with the recipe right there, too. Once I add hops, I check the recipe and measure out the next addition of hops, set a timer and chill for a bit. I find that the timer helps me make sure I don't miss anything.

On the other hand, I have quite a sweet tooth. So, maybe I'd like a beer with no hops. :D

8 gallon pot on a stovetop, hmmn, you give me hope. Do you have a higher than average stove? Also, i couldnt tell, is that gas or Electric?

Im confined to the kitchen, so ive been doing 2.5 gallon batches.

Do you get a good rolling boil?

It's a gas stove with a "power boil" burner that puts out something like 18,000BTUs, I think. It got boiling pretty well, but not a full-on uber-boil. But, definitely boiling.

Edit: Just checked the manufacturer's web site, that burner is 17,000 BTUs.

Looks like my starter's got this beer off to a good start! It was bubbling away even last night. Also picked up some more bottles to store all of the lovely brews I plan on making.

All 10 cases of empties:
Lemon-LimeHefeweizen-04.jpg

Well, this should be interesting...

I just realized, after reading into Papazian's book a bit more, that I used softened water in this brew. For my first two extract brews, I just used kitchen tap water, which bypasses the softener. Our water is fairly hard, at somewhere around 250ppm total hardness. But this time, I decided to use the bathtub faucet to fill my brew kettle / mash tun, since it fills faster with that faucet. But that's softened water. Hopefully my brew doesn't turn out salty... only time will tell!

Anyone know how hard is "really hard" vs something that's still useable for brewing? I want to know if I should use tap water next time, or use the R/O system that I have laying around. (needs new filters...)

On a brighter note, I just added the limeade to the carboy. Initial fermentation wasn't that vigorous, which seemed strange. Could it have something to do with the softened water? I've read that softened water tends to cause weak fermentation.

Just a quick update, I went ahead and bottled my Lemon-Lime Hefeweizen (LLHW). The sample I tasted was pretty good, very citrusy and limey. It had a slightly off flavor, but I'm thinking that's just from being so green. I'll wait until it carbs up and conditions before making a more thorough judgement.

Also, I used DME on this brew for priming. However, I had two issues come up after-the-fact:
  1. I misjudged the volume of usable beer. After bottling, I counted and calculated only 5.15 gallons of beer were bottled. I estimate 5.5 gallons of beer when calculating priming DME. So, they're a little more primed than anticipated.
  2. I discovered that it's not recommended to go over 3 volumes of carbonation on standard longneck bottles. Well... I estimate I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.6-3.8 volumes... oops... But I was anticipating carbonating based upon a weizen style of beer, which was around that 3.5+ range.

So, the over-priming may be a serious issue. I've moved the bottles down to my basement to carbonate at a lower temperature (around 65°F) to ease the pressure a bit. Hopefully I don't end up with bottle bombs. But it won't surprise me, if I do.

I'm just going to wait and see what happens, for now. Any advice moving forward, at this point?

Almost forgot to mention, FG was 1.007. It's a few points higher than FG in the original recipe. But my OG was higher, too. This puts it at approximately 6.4% abv.

Tried a sample of this last night. I wanted to see how the carbonation was going. I still noticed some really slight bubble or something on the side of the bottle. Perhaps it was a little bit of yeasty sediment clinging to it..?

In any case, it was considerably limey. Almost too much so. Hopefully that'll mellow just a touch as it ages. I may have overdone it with the lime zest. I remember having just a little extra, so I just tossed it in. It was better as I drank it and got used to it, but still a bit strong.

Carbonation was pretty decent. Not a lot of head, despite the carbonation level. I bet it'll continue to carb up, since it's only been a week and a half since bottling. No broken bottles, yet. But I've kept it in the basement, where it's cooler, to prevent over-pressurizing the bottles.

My biggest concern is more the possibility of exploding bottles than flavor, at this point. But, so far, so good. I keep reading about how people let beer sit and condition for a while, and it improves with age. So, I'm not about to toss anything out, unless it's seriously foul stuff.

Hopefully the head will improve over time, as well. Nothing quite like a nice, creamy foam on top of a beer.

Tried my second of this batch on Saturday, and it was considerably better! The lime wasn't as harsh, and the brew was pretty smooth. No bottle bombs, yet. I won't hold my breath on that, yet. Carbonation was higher, and it did fizz up a bit after opening the bottle. Not a huge volcano, but it's definitely well-carbonated. And since it's only been just over two weeks since bottling and it's sitting in a 65°F basement, I'm thinking it may still carb up a bit more. (I kinda hope not! I liked it where it was.)

I just brewed this again yesterday. I can't wait to finally have this beer again! I might have to brew a second batch soon just to keep myself stocked up.

I'm tempted to carbonate similarly again, though I still worry about bottle bombs. Maybe I'll keep it to the "safe" maximum of 3 volumes for carbonation. No reason to tempt fate again.

Back