First all grain brew, I have one question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orrin1988

Reaction score
Okay so I have been getting ready all week for our first brew and it is on a brand new three tier brew stand that I built over the past couple weeks. I am fairly confident in all areas, but I had a minor hiccup with the mash tun. I am using a converted 15.5g keg for a mash tun and I had originally ordered a weldless 3 piece ball valve and a probe for a thermometer. Anyway, somehow the thermometer ended up getting misplaced in the order and the hole that I drilled in the keg for it was 3/16th of an inch. I do not have a thermometer to put in that hole and I won't be able to get one till next week because that is when my LHBS gets their shipment in.

My first question is if it would be okay to use a small food grade rubber stopper to plug up that hole for the mash tun? It would only be for this first brew that a buddy and I planned on doing tomorrow. After that we would be able to get a thermometer for that hole. I am just worried about rubber (even food grade) and heat being applied to it. Would it be adequate in stopping any leaks?

If that is not a good idea, does anyone have a good temporary fix for this hole that I could do instead?

Plug that hole with anything you can and mash on..... If it leaks a little put a drip pan underneath it and sparge with it (lol)..... Your 60 to 90 minute boil will ensure no nasties survive.

I use a rubber stopper for my airlock when I do small batches in a one gallon jug. Sounds like it should be fine.

Thanks guys, I feel a lot better about it now.

I was just worried about the rubber imparting a nasty flavor during the mash. Glad to see that isn't an issue.

1st all grain and only *one* question? Damn, son, you got mad skillz.

:)

RDWHAHB! Plug that hole.... It'll turn out fine!

Have fun with it! You'll not want to go back to extract :)

Back