First All-Grain brew day in the books!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agate

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I finally got all the pieces and parts together to try out single infusion/batch sparge.

It was AWESOME!

I mashed indoors in a cooler with water heated on the stove, and did the boil outdoors on my propane burner. Mash temp started and ended within a degree of my target, and sparge temp was about a degree off, which is good enough for me for now. SG was slightly high and volume was slightly low going into the bucket, but that's fine. Managed to do all of this with the three kids running around, and it was still mostly relaxing.

We'll see how the final product is in a few weeks, but for all the people offering advice on here, thanks eh!

awesome, congrats on your first all grain brew! What did you brew up?

I also mash in doors when it's too hot during the summer or too cold in the winter. Plus it uses less gas to not have to heat your strike water outside.

I made NB's kit for John Palmer's elevenses ale. Sounded interesting and fairly forgiving. I wanted to try something that wasn't available as an extract version.

I probably need to start thinking about water chemistry and what I can do with my well water, but I think I'll keep it simple for now and hope I end up with something drinkable.

Back