First all grain brew and wort....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budwhite5

Reaction score
I guys, next weekend I'm doing my 4th batch. It wil be my first all grain and first wort. Probably a bit in the deep end, but no risk no fun! The question I have is that I will be doing my wort on an electric hob. It has the power, but I prefer to cook with gas and I know it would be easier to control the wort temp with gas, but my hands are tied. Has anyone got any tips on controlling the temp of the wort with electric hobs? Is there a tolerance for the temp +/- where the wort will still be good etc?

I brew on my electric stove. Once I hit y mash temp I shutoff power and usually only lose a degree maybe 2 by the time my hour mash is done. So if I want to mash 153-154. I'll hear to 155 and let it ride the hour.

Thanks, I'll be doing my mash in my cooler box mash tun the temp control is for when I'm doing the wort, but I take it a similar theory would work? Get my wort up to temp and then kill the heat? Or do I have to be more accurate with my wort temp?

budwhite5 said:
Thanks, I'll be doing my mash in my cooler box mash tun the temp control is for when I'm doing the wort, but I take it a similar theory would work? Get my wort up to temp and then kill the heat? Or do I have to be more accurate with my wort temp?

Aren't you going to just take your wort to boil? I'm not sure I'm clear as to what you're asking with regards to "get my wort up to temp". If you've already figured out the temp you need for your strike water and are mashing in a cooler tun (I'm assuming that you're not talking about an electric heating element in your mash tun), then there shouldn't be any issue with using electric vs gas.

i brew on my electric stove top and all i do is bring it to boil on high and then turn it down to the lowest setting that'll maintain a boil same as you would with gas

Back