First All Grain Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youafwog

Reaction score
Hello all. Last night I attempted my first all grain batch on my own (I've done a couple all grain batches from kits and one extract batch). I was attempting to recreate a recipe I found in the following thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/swmbo-wants-bm-cinnamon-horchada-clone.524977/

Here's the recipe I used:

2.0 lb 2 row US
0.5 lb flaked rice
Mashed for one hour in 3.25 qt and ended up with about 2 qts after, added 3 qts of tap water before boiling

0.25 oz cascade 60 min
1.0 oz lactose 10 min
1 Whirlfloc tablet 10 min
0.5 tsp ground cinnamon 5 min
1.0 oz lactose 5 min

Cooled down the wort and poured into a little big mouth bubbler. Since it is a small batch and I have only ever done a primary fermentation, I wasn't planning on doing a second round with this so I threw in the cinnamon sticks in a muslin after soaking them in sanitizer for a couple minutes. Pitched in half a packet of Safale S-04 and sealed everything up. Here's what I have after a little over 12 hours of fermenting:

IMG_0844 (2).jpg

It looks like fermentation is underway but I'm surprised how much gunk is floating around. I guess there is still some time for everything to settle but it just looks off to me. Anyone have any thoughts on if I've messed up somewhere? Did I try to do too much for this first batch all on my own?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome aboard.
It doesn't look like what I generally see, but I haven't brewed something like that before. How much yeast did you use?

About half a packet, dry pitched after I cooled down the wort. Wasn’t super precise on most of this so maybe that was a mistake. I read elsewhere that it might not hurt to throw the fermenter in the fridge for the last couple days and maybe add some gelatin to help everything settle?

I just sort of estimate half a pack for small batches and it works well. I know that many people chill the fermenter "cold crashing" to clear it. That is after fermenting. I generally just leave mine until it clears.

I’ve had a similar look to my blue moon clone. It was explained to me that it was break matter (aka protein). My guess, in your case, is that it’s just the protein from all that lactose. I bet it settles out.

I’ve had a similar look to my blue moon clone. It was explained to me that it was break matter (aka protein). My guess, in your case, is that it’s just the protein from all that lactose. I bet it settles out.

Thanks for the input! It does look a little milk-like so that makes sense to me.

wait, you soaked your cinnamon sticks in sanitizer?

lactose doesn't have any amino acids, i don't think....

wait, you soaked your cinnamon sticks in sanitizer?

lactose doesn't have any amino acids, i don't think....

That’s correct. In the thread I found the recipe in they talked about it so I figured I would to be safe but maybe that wasn’t the greatest decision?

That’s correct. In the thread I found the recipe in they talked about it so I figured I would to be safe but maybe that wasn’t the greatest decision?

i don't know depends on how much 'sanitizer' you want in your gallon batch....they give me **** for malting my own barley with feed store 6-row! lol

and lactose doesn't have any protein in it....it's like sucrose kinda but just double bonded sugar molecule?

i'd just say, be careful with that sanitizer soaked cinnamon. whatever sanitizer you used is now in that gallon batch. next time i'd say try steaming it if your paranoid....

i don't know depends on how much 'sanitizer' you want in your gallon batch....they give me poopy for malting my own barley with feed store 6-row! lol

and lactose doesn't have any protein in it....it's like sucrose kinda but just double bonded sugar molecule?

i'd just say, be careful with that sanitizer soaked cinnamon. whatever sanitizer you used is now in that gallon batch. next time i'd say try steaming it if your paranoid....

Lol to be fair it was just a couple sticks soaked for a couple minutes and there wasn’t a ton of excess but I agree there was probably a better option. I read elsewhere that it might have been better to steam like you said or soak in a high proof alcohol instead of sanitizer. I’ll have to try that next time around.

Lol to be fair it was just a couple sticks soaked for a couple minutes and there wasn’t a ton of excess but I agree there was probably a better option. I read elsewhere that it might have been better to steam like you said or soak in a high proof alcohol instead of sanitizer. I’ll have to try that next time around.

just hoping i don't see on the news there's a new homebrewing crisis with people dying! like the opioid crap i see....

Back