First all grain batch!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwturnernc

Reaction score
Hi!! All!! My wife purchased a beer kit for me for Christmas(I only asked for 3 years) and I am loving brewing beer. I have brewed 4 extracts brews so far a bitter, bock(which i did not lager) stout and a heffe! I want to move up to all grain 5 gallon batches and have the equipment to do so thanks to a friend but don't know what to brew. I found a recipe for a hopslam clone and a dead guy clone which are two of my favorite beers. Should I do a couple of partial mash batches and move forward or jump straight to all grain? Are the two recipes I found too much for a beginner ? Any insight would be received and suggestion for an easy first all grain recipe welcomed! I

I would try a SMaSH (single malt, single hop) recipe first, just because it's easier to gather ingredients. Make sure you have enough capacity to mash your grain bill and heat adequate volume of sparge water/wort.

I started out with all grain 3 gallon batches. Ive never done extract but I think it would be an easy transition. If you have a 5 gallon pot you only need to build a mash tun.

Depending on your comfort level, I'd say you can skip partial mashing and go straight to all grain.

As long as the recipe doesn't call for step mashing, you can do any recipe. Or you can adapt it to single infusion/batch sparge.

Latest posts

Back