First All-Grain batch, your thoughts...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyGuy77

Reaction score
Hello everyone! So I have been out of the brew game for about 4 years and decide to get back in it again once I return home from deployment. I have done extract batches and I figured if I'm gonna jump back in I might as well go all grain. So I'm gonna try an easy drinking Irish red and after looking at a bunch of recipes I kind of mixed a couple together and I want to see what you guys think.

5.0 Gal batch

10 lbs Maris Otter
8 oz Crystal 40L
8 oz Crystal 120L
1.25 oz EKG(Whole Leaf) @60min
1 L Starter either WLP004 or Wyeast 1084
1 tsp Irish moss @15min

Mash 60 mins @153
Batch Sparge @168

Ferment @65 for 3-5 days depending on activity then 70 for 2 days. Cold crash/gelitain until clear, and keg with 2.5 vols.

I'm just looking for feedback, and all opinions are welcome thanks!:mug:

I would probably add an aroma/flavor hop in there. Nothing overpowering, but something.

Hello everyone! So I have been out of the brew game for about 4 years and decide to get back in it again once I return home from deployment. I have done extract batches and I figured if I'm gonna jump back in I might as well go all grain. So I'm gonna try an easy drinking Irish red and after looking at a bunch of recipes I kind of mixed a couple together and I want to see what you guys think.

5.0 Gal batch

10 lbs Maris Otter
8 oz Crystal 40L
8 oz Crystal 120L
1.25 oz EKG(Whole Leaf) @60min
1 L Starter either WLP004 or Wyeast 1084
1 tsp Irish moss @15min

Mash 60 mins @153
Batch Sparge @168

Ferment @65 for 3-5 days depending on activity then 70 for 2 days. Cold crash/gelitain until clear, and keg with 2.5 vols.

I'm just looking for feedback, and all opinions are welcome thanks!:mug:

Wow, what a coincidence.
I am going to be doing my first AG batch and my recipe is:

10 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Crystal 40L
8 oz Caraaroma
2 oz Roasted Barley
1.25 oz Fuggle@60min
1 oz Fuggle @15min
1 tsp Irish moss @15min

No starter, but using Wyeast 1084

Mash 60 minutes at 152.
2 steps batch sparge 2gallons followed by 4.25gallons at 168F water.

Ferment at 64F for 7 days, then check hydrometer readings every other day until S.G. of 1.014 is reached. Cold crash at 38F for 4 days. Rack to keg with gelatin. Serve with 2.3 volume.

No intent at hi-jack, just interesting to see. Hopefully your advice will apply to my first go around as well! :mug:

Thanks for your service.

Looks like a solid recipe to me. You might consider adding a few ounces of roasted barley to add more of a red hue.

Do a batch sparge not fly sparge like I tried. Drain it slow, not fast. My gravity was way jacked up.

I usually throw a little cara-pils, or something like it, in the mix for the body, mouthfeel, head retention stuff. Maybe a little cara-vienna or munich for the color in this one. YMMV.

Do a batch sparge not fly sparge like I tried. Drain it slow, not fast. My gravity was way jacked up.
Slow sparging is only necessary when fly (continuous) sparging. For batch sparging, just add your sparge water to the MLT, stir well for a couple of minutes, and and then drain as fast as your equipment will allow.

Brew on :mug:

I drain at valve wide open with batch sparging. Noticed no difference in efficiency when I previously misunderstood batch for sparge and was draining as slow as my patience could handle.

That's what's awesome about batch sparging.

For what its worth my first AG was an unmitigated disaster. Gravity came in 20 points low. Could not hit a mash temp of 153 despite all the best promises from various calculators. Got it to 150 after adding several kettles of boiling water (note to self: have a large pot of boiling water ready for next AG batch, and a gallon of very cold water too).

The new pump for my new counterflow shell/tube chiller would not run. Had to wash and prep immersion chiller on the fly. Took hours to get wort down to temp (groundwater temperature at my house is around 74F). Lesson learned: test all equipment prior to using.

Latest posts

Back