First all grain batch tomorrow, one question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBR250

Reaction score
I bought a nice new false bottom for my 10 gal pot to batch sparge. It is hinged. It's has a 1/4" space around the bottom. What is the best way to seal it, mesh bag, copper tubing? Any help would be appreciated!:ban:

It has a central hole for your dip tube I assume? If its not snug with the circumference of your vessel then you'll need a ring for it to sit on. The grain bed will fill in the 1/4" space and any small gaps. Make the ring tall enough for the dip tube to have a little space between itself and the bottom. The ring can be mesh or solid.

It has a central hole for your dip tube I assume? If its not snug with the circumference of your vessel then you'll need a ring for it to sit on. The grain bed will fill in the 1/4" space and any small gaps. Make the ring tall enough for the dip tube to have a little space between itself and the bottom. The ring can be mesh or solid.

Thank you,
No my false bottom does not have a center tube. I think i understand i need a ring to seal the circumference, just not sure what to use that i can get from HD tomorrow. Am I missing your point?

Thank you,
No my false bottom does not have a center tube. I think i understand i need a ring to seal the circumference, just not sure what to use that i can get from HD tomorrow. Am I missing your point?

I see. If there's not a hole for a dip tube then it was designed to rest above the level of your mashtun's outlet valve. There's many possible choices here, but basically you need to get a straight tube from the valve to the center of your mashtun and then isolate it underneath the false bottom. Since the false bottom isn't snug fitting in the mashtun you need some kind of ring to isolate the end of the tube. Copper or PVCP-tubing that can fit your valve would have to pass through a hole in the side of your ring to the center with the false bottom sitting on top of your ring. Whatever material you make the ring out of is up to you, stainless mesh just like your falsebottom is made of would be best but not sure you have time. In a pinch you could cut your "ring" out of a 5 gallon bucket and drill a hole for the tubing to pass through. A better solution could be built later, before your next brew day.

I see. If there's not a hole for a dip tube then it was designed to rest above the level of your mashtun's outlet valve. There's many possible choices here, but basically you need to get a straight tube from the valve to the center of your mashtun and then isolate it underneath the false bottom. Since the false bottom isn't snug fitting in the mashtun you need some kind of ring to isolate the end of the tube. Copper or PVCP-tubing that can fit your valve would have to pass through a hole in the side of your ring to the center with the false bottom sitting on top of your ring. Whatever material you make the ring out of is up to you, stainless mesh just like your falsebottom is made of would be best but not sure you have time. In a pinch you could cut your "ring" out of a 5 gallon bucket and drill a hole for the tubing to pass through. A better solution could be built later, before your next brew day.

Yes, it does sit on a 2" stand. I think I get pulling the wort from the center of the pot and sealing the sides. I hope to get a kettle soon and this bottom is supposed to fit them just right. For now i think ill just use copper. Thanks for you time!

Yes, it does sit on a 2" stand. I think I get pulling the wort from the center of the pot and sealing the sides. I hope to get a kettle soon and this bottom is supposed to fit them just right. For now i think ill just use copper. Thanks for you time!

Best of luck to you and good brews!:)

Latest posts

Back