First all grain batch, thoughts on recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supaphly42

Reaction score
I've got most of my gear for an all-grain batch, just have to convert my cooler over, and wait until it warms up a touch (was -6 F when I woke up the other day). Anyway, been debating on what to brew first. I was thinking about Ithaca's Cascazilla (it's a hoppy red ale, brewed kinda locally).

I've searched around on forums, and found the following recipe. Thoughts on it, both as a first batch, and on the recipe in general? Also, should I do what seems to be the standard 154° mash for 60 mins? And any other first batch tips? Thanks!

Also, here's their description of what they used and what it's like, if that helps:
Cascazilla The name CascaZilla (Cas-kuh-zil-uh) is a play on both the name of a gorge in Ithaca called Cascadilla and the monster amounts of Cascade Hops we use to make the beer. The predominant flavor and aroma of this beer comes from fresh American hops. CascaZilla gets its distinctive red color from a healthy portion of caramel malt, which also lends to the beer, a hearty body and sweetness. It is a hoppy red ale!
ABV 7%
IBUs: N/A
Malt: 2-Row, Crystal, Black
Hops: Cascade, Chinook, Crystal
Dry-Hop: Cascade, Amarillo

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: me
Boil Size: 6.5 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Brew Pot (10 gal) and Cooler (52 qt)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00
Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 83.05 %
2.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 16.95 %
0.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days)
1.00 oz Cascade [4.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)
1.00 oz Cascade [4.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days)
2.00 oz Cascade [4.50 %] (30 min)
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (10 min)

Est Original Gravity: 1.072 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.01 %
Bitterness: 51.7 IBU Calories: 220 cal/pint
Est Color: 17.1 SRM

You list black malt in the ingredient list then it's not in the recipe below. You'll definitely not want to forget that as that's where most of your color will come from. And yeah, that seems like a lot of crystal malt.

That being said, I recommend something fairly simple & low gravity for your first. Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde is perfect, IMO.

That does seem like a ton of crystal, but with the amount of hops it might work out. The bitterness would help overcome the sweetness.

10% or less for the crystal would be more ideal and that will also depend on how much Black you were planning on using as well............PErsonally I use around 5% crystal/caramel malt in most of my PAs and IPAs.

Back