First All Grain -?’s about Lactobacillus on equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sillyburt

Reaction score
So I did my first all grain over the weekend. I was surprised to find out (IMHO) that it went fine.

I’ve searched and read posts that say there is Lactobacillus in the grain (such as when milling). For milling I would just do it in the garage so as to not worry about spreading Lactobacillus to any equipment.

Do I have to worry about using equipment during the mash (thermometer) and then later using it for the cool side? Can I use this thermometer later when I’m cooling with IC?

Is dropping in the sanitizer bucket good enough or should I boil it first before putting it in the sanitizer…i.e. if it has lacto on it will it contaminate my sanitizer bucket and therefore all the equipment I have in there?

Should I just get two separate pieces of equipment like thermometer and hydrometer (one for doing the mash and then another for doing the chilling) and always keep them separate and not store them by eachother?

Should I store the mill far away from my other equipment?

The only worries you should have is in milling near your fermenters post sanitization.

Your wort gets boiled before going into the fermenters thus the bacterium will have been denatured.

And you should ALWAYS sanitize ANYTHING that goes into your wort no matter what it was used for.

As long as you sanitize properly everything you use in your post boil wort it will remove any nasties you don't want in there.

Back