First AG recipe critique..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comj49

Reaction score
Got all of my AG components for christmas:rockin: I am going to make my first recipe i got from a Jamil show Podcast. Let me know what you think.

JZ Sweet Stout
Sweet Stout

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.51 gal
Boil Time: 90 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 81.63 %
1.00 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 8.16 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 6.12 %
0.50 lb Pale Chocolate Malt (200.0 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (90 min) Hops 24.5 IBU
1.00 lb Lactose (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Whitbread Ale (Wyeast Labs #1099) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.80 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 24.5 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 38.7 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 12.25 lb
Sparge Water: 5.40 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 15.31 qt of water at 162.5 F 151.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.0
Pressure/Weight: 3.5 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 65.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 65.0 F

Must be a problem with beersmith, or i didn't edit that part when i entered the recipe. Nice catch though!

Is that debittered Black Patent Malt? If not, it will need to age a significant amount of time to mellow out that "burnt" taste.

why would you sparge at 180°F??? or are you just saying the water is in the 180s before it goes into the sparge? i can't imagine you'd actually want to subject your grains to those kind of temperatures.

Is that debittered Black Patent Malt? If not, it will need to age a significant amount of time to mellow out that "burnt" taste.

+1. A full pound of Black Patent Malt in five gallons will make a beer that will take years to mellow in the bottle to a point where it might be palatable. Black Patent is very phenolic and acrid, and if used in excess its flavors will overwhelm everything.

Are you certain you copied the podcast correctly?

Bob

He defenitley says "A pound of Black Patent", but then he goes on to say " .045Kilograms", which would be like 1/10th of a pound(1 pound=0.45kg)? Good luck to me trying to pick it out of the sack of grain!!

After some research, someone on Morebeer message board has had good luck with the recipe AS-IS. He does go on to say(Jamil that is, on his podcast) that it's kinda like drinking coffee or expresso, if you don't add cream and sugar it would be overly roasty, but once you add those things, the flavor profile changes. The full pound of Lactose must mask some of the bitterness. I guess i will let everyone know in a couple months how it turned out.

After some research, someone on Morebeer message board has had good luck with the recipe AS-IS. He does go on to say(Jamil that is, on his podcast) that it's kinda like drinking coffee or expresso, if you don't add cream and sugar it would be overly roasty, but once you add those things, the flavor profile changes. The full pound of Lactose must mask some of the bitterness. I guess i will let everyone know in a couple months how it turned out.

Oh! Okay! Even with that testimony, I confess I'd never even try it. :eek: Good luck to you!

Bob

Oh! Okay! Even with that testimony, I confess I'd never even try it. :eek: Good luck to you!

Bob

I'll make sure to let you know if it works out! Either way, it will be beer!! If i have to let it condition a couple years, whatever:confused:

Update! After only 10 days in the bottle, i couldn't wait and cracked one open. WOW! It does have a slight burnt taste, but nothing like what everyone was thinking. I really think the full pound of lactose masks most of those flavors. The beer is going to be great!! Just thought someone might want to know!

Back