first AG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

By-Tor

Reaction score
My recepit calls for mashing at 155, i'm at 148 and cant get it to go up and my mash is starting to thin. what should i do?

You can either add boiling water or pull out some of the mash into a pot and heat it up. You n eed to get the temp up, at least into the low 150s....

You can either add boiling water or pull out some of the mash into a pot and heat it up. You n eed to get the temp up, at least into the low 150s....

will it thin the mash to much? also, can't I just mash for longer?

tried to heat some up and put it back in the mash and the temp droped 2 more degres, is this mash ruined?

RDWHAHB.:) It should still convert ok at 148F, you'll just have a drier, thinner-bodied beer. Add some maltodextrin to your priming sugar if you're really worried and want to do something to compensate.

140 to 150 will give you a lite bodied beer. I had the same problem on Thursday and added 2 qt's of 212F. H2O. I'm happy and my brew is fermenting away nicely. You should be fine and I am certain your first beer will be excellent.

Salute! :mug:

Welcome :mug:
As others have said, you should be fine, the beer may just be a bit drier than you planned on.

Back