First AG is in the mash tun...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck_Swillery

Reaction score
Currently fighting with the thermometer trying to get the temp right. I had it, it was high, so I added some ice and went to far the other way. I was up to 156 and probably should have left it. Now I'm sitting at 150.6 having already added 1.25 more quarts of water. Learning process!

Just added 2 cups boiling water - now sitting at 152.6... so, total of 1.5 qts of water added after starting w/1.25 qts/lbs... it'll be thinner than I wanted to start but I'm good.

Next Brew try stirring until it drops to target temp. Also recommend keeping about a gallon of 175 deg water on hand for adjustments. hope this helps in future. Keep notes.

Whats your Recipe? As long as you keep your water to Grain ratio close. You can add a little more water in mash to get to target temp and subtract in from the Sparge volume, to keep the over all Ratio close. I believe as long as you do not go over 3.3 quarts water to 1 lbs Grain it's all good.

I'm trying the Fuggle IPA AG kit from Midwest Supplies...

9 lbs. Domestic 2-Row, 16 oz. Caravienne is what's listed but I still weighed it out just to be sure... twice came up with 10 lbs 4 oz. Here's the link to the kit...

Fuggle IPA AG Kit

If I've measured close enough and figuring right I am currently right about 1.6 qts/lbs so I'm good. I REALLY have to take this all in stride just because I'm the personality type that will stress the fun right out of it all. LOL So, whatever turns out turns out... just want to get it close! I also have 3 lbs of light DME on hand... just in case.

I usually mash at 1.5 qt/lb... I agree with keeping some boiling water and ice cubes around for quick adjustments if you're as picky about hitting temps as I am...

Sounds like it's all going smoothly, nice work... post pics!

I'm trying the Fuggle IPA AG kit from Midwest Supplies...

9 lbs. Domestic 2-Row, 16 oz. Caravienne is what's listed but I still weighed it out just to be sure... twice came up with 10 lbs 4 oz. Here's the link to the kit...

Fuggle IPA AG Kit

If I've measured close enough and figuring right I am currently right about 1.6 qts/lbs so I'm good. I REALLY have to take this all in stride just because I'm the personality type that will stress the fun right out of it all. LOL So, whatever turns out turns out... just want to get it close! I also have 3 lbs of light DME on hand... just in case.

Your gonna be fine. I mash all of my recipes between 1.5 and 1.75qts/lb. Nothing but success! Yeah it will take a few tries to learn your strike temps so you don't have to adjust as much, but don't get discouraged. :mug:

1.6qts/lbs in the Mash. How are you Sparging, Drain and Batch Sparge or infusion? Vendors usually give you a little extra grain just to be sure, it actually helps with your Efficiency. Just relax and keep notes on everything so you can see and learn what and why. Have fun.

Another way of hitting temp is to add 1/3 strike water, 1/3 grain, 1/3 strike water, 1/3 grain and then read the temp to see whether you need to adjust with hot or cold for the final 1/3.

You can also adjust your mash time if you miss your target temp. If you go too hot you can lengthen the mash time to make a more fermentable wort. If you go too cold, you can shorten the mash time to make it less so.

Additionally you can add in a touch of simple sugar or malt extract during the boil to make the final beer thicker or drier.

Good suggestion manticle. I was actually following that but in my haste overlooked the fact my strike water was on the hot side. SO, all is well so, so far, so good. I am already planning on a 90 to 120 min mash just to make sure.

Here's a pic:

Yes, bit of a joke... not much to look at so far. Wrapped it all in my hunting coat try and retain some of that heat. LOL Garage is a bit chilly this morning.

Ok... sparging going well enough. Just trying to find the balance of not to fast, etc. Runnings looking good... Here's some more pics...

fly_sparge.JPG
sparging6.JPG

My_set_up.JPG

Ok... corrected OG @ 7 gallons is 1.038. I'll calculate the efficiency once the boil settles down. I'm puttin' the spurs to the kettle right now...

Looks like I have somewhere around 70% efficiency... I'll take that for being my first time...

Looks good! Nice pics. I am finishing cleaning all of my equipment now for my first AG brew tomorrow.

Looks good! Nice pics. I am finishing cleaning all of my equipment now for my first AG brew tomorrow.

Thanks... and if there is one piece of advice I can give that I've made my mantra for this session so far... that is... RELAX!

Man... so easy to stress over stuff. I've had to make some adjustments but staying clear and cool headed has helped so far. Next dose of hops coming up right now...

Thanks for the advice! I am stressing a bit now. Trying to make sure everything is clean, propane tanks full, new chiller I built doesn't leak.
Now that everything is done here I will relax.
Let us know how your brew day finishes up!!

Thanks for the good word Dave... You'll do great. Relaxing, having fun, and staying flexible in the process helped me a bunch. OH... another thing I now know which will help... every 2" in my currently brew kettle is 1 gallon. LOL

OG: 1.038, SG: 1.046 after 7 gallon boil. All said and done I figure my efficiency around 70-71%, pretty happy. 120 minute mash, sparge took about an hour. Boiled it a full hour adding hops at 60, 30, 15, and 2 min into the boil. Also threw in some Irish Moss and yeast nutrient I chilled it and took it from 203.9 down to 66 degrees in 15 minutes. I did not use a starter and pitched Wyeast Thames Valley 1275 after aerating it very well using a drill driven aeration want. Should be GREAT.

Final pic... hot break with a lot of green trub under it from the hop pellets. First time I've seen it up close like this...

Hot_Break.JPG

Time for a nap... started all this at 6am and finished clean up at 3pm. Long day but loooking forward to seeing how this turned out...

Back