First AG, half batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucepepper

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing my first AG in the next day or so, but I only have a bit of grain left. I won't be going to a city for a couple of weeks and I'm wondering if this half batch recipe will work.

2.5 gallon batch
3.25 gallon boil

3.5 lbs. American 2-row
1 lbs. Munich Malt
.5 lbs. Biscuit
.5 lbs. Crystal Malt 20°L

.5 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.5 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 30 min.
.5 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 3 min.

Yeast : Danstar Nottingham info

Thanks for any advice you may have.

It depends on what you will ferment it. I've read conflicting reports that fermenting in a carboy or bucket that is 1/2 full isn't a good idea. Others say that the CO2 layer will protect the wort from oxidation, so it's not an issue.

However, you may want to reconsider the 1/2 batch just because of the labor associated with making it. For the time you will be investing into this, you might as well make 5 gallons. The first few AG batches can take 4-6 hours, plus weeks to months of fermenting and aging. If it were me, I would want to get a full yield for my efforts.

Good luck with your brewing, regardless which way you go.

+1 on the wait. The time and labor are almost the same. I only make 12 gallon batches for this reason alone.

Hey big supper,

I did get my "snow day" but my phone was out, so I couldn't call. Anyway, yes I did it and it went pretty well. Efficiency was about 67%, but I have a pretty small batch.(maybe 9lts, OG 1.054) I used a snowbank to chill it and had it down below 90 F in about 10-15 minutes. I decided to try all Cascade hops (1/2 oz. at 60, 30, and 3 minutes) and hopefully it won't be to much.

I'm going to London this weekend so I'll pick up a bunch of grain and hopefully try a 5gal batch.(maybe a base malt recipe) I'll talk to you soon.

Cool!! Congrats!

The old lady had a snow day too. Too bad I wasn't brewing. We have a lot of snow for chilling!

Back