First AG brew log

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boasist

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So after some research I went ahead and got my parts in and am starting my first batch today with my new AG setup. Here is the new parts list I picked up yesterday;

Grainfather
7.2C chest freezer w/ stc-1000+ controller (fermentation)
5.2C chest freezer w/ranco controller (keezer build)
Plus all of the misc. taps, tubes, kegs, and of course the recipe

Heineken Clone:
9 lbs 4.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 97.4 %
4.0 oz German Light Crystal Malt (10 SRM) Grain 2.6 %
1lb flaked corn
0.35 oz Northern Brewer [8.00%] (90 min) Hops 12.3 IBU
0.75 oz Hallertauer [3.25%] (90 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer [3.25%] (10 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Danish Lager (Wyeast Labs #2042) Yeast-Lager x2 smack packs

Here is the Beersmith profile I set up

So, I'll be starting soon after I finish the initial cleaning of the grainfather. I'm a little concerned with Beersmith and the grainfather profiles not matching up exactly, but I think I have it dialed in pretty well so I'm going to trust it and make tweaks (if necessary) as I move along in my next brews.

Be sure to make notes on where you didn't hit your specs along with any changes that happened by accident or last minute plans. I find the the tasting notes are something that I need more of , once at the end of ferment ion and again after you have used up half of the batch. plus any comments from guest the drink it.:mug:

+1 to the above. I didn't start keeping notes until 3 brews ago (my 12th) and it's made a world of difference. A happy accident with slightly higher mash temp has turned into my House IPA, if I didn't have my notes I wouldn't have plenty in my pipeline now. Notes, notes, notes!!!

Bit hectic as I don't exactly have it down yet. But we're mashing and therefore, for now, all is well.

image.jpg

Getting close to finishing my boil, I slapped the yeast 6 hours ago and still no swelling, concerned I may have a bad pack. What sweet sorrow on my first brew!

The nutrient pack on the inside is pretty hard to pop at times. If you open the pack and it isn't popped no big deal. They work pretty much the same.

Cool, thank you.

As home brewing goes, I was a little torn on following the yeast pack instructions for how to pitch it before fermenting. Yet, I decided to go with the more specific profile of the yeast and will let it sit overnight and check on it. It's been almost 3 hours after pitching the yeast at about 68 degrees, and nothing yet. The pack says don't ferment until you see action.

The inner pack is just nutrient. The yeast may produce a little co2 and thus swell the pack. I don't worry about the smack pack because I always make a starter. I had one that I smacked, it swelled just a little but when I opened it to add to the starter I found that I had not broken the inner pouch.

Even if you made a starter and pitched the optimum cell count, 3 hours is still pretty early to see anything happening. I have had some that did start that soon and others that didn't go for 12 hours or so.

Btw, if you are brewing a true lager at about 1.050 and 5 gallons you really should have used 4 packs. So it might take longer for fermentation to start. The cells will reproduce first, then ferment the beer.

I ended up at 1.026, and the Internet recipes and beer smith told me two would be good. I appreciate the insight on 4 packs. Just experience rearing its head, thanks again for the information.

Still hoping for some action in the morning, so as you say, if I see action, then ferment, I've always just fermented, so I'll definitely work with that mindset.

Those calculators are nice. I thought I had covered my bases, OK then, can I save the batch or must I start over?

OK, just an update as this phase of construction is complete. As for the batch - it's still in the fermenter for another 5 days, but I did a tasting of it and it's quite nice, a little malty, which I may compensate for with more hops as the alpha was much lower than what the recipe called for.

Total bomb. Very thing, water, no head, a reminder to keep pushing forward. Since them I've brewed a cream ale which showed slightly more promise, a Lagunita's clone that was even better, and I'm prepped for an oatmeal stout on Saturday. Each brew day is a new experience, and each beer is getting better. Call me whatever you want, I still do want to get this heineken down!

Back