First AG (BIAB) post-mortem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jes2xu

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I just put down my first AG BIAB brew. I have done a few beers from kits that have gone really well but im a NOOOOOOOOOOOB for AG.

A few things went fairly bad, so I was looking to get a bit of help trouble shooting. Also deciding what really is a problem and what to not stress about! As fat as I am concerned im really not worried if THIS brew turns out, as long as I learn from it im a happy man! :)

I will put the recipe in a following post to not clog things up to much here.

What went wrong:

1)
I messed up the strike temp or water volume (or SOMETHING haha) and started the mash at 74C/165f:confused:. I thought this would have denatured the enzymes right off the bat! But I did still get a pre boil gravity of 1.048 (recipe says 1.045). Does this mean there are still fermentable sugars in there? Or could something else be giving me that reading? The wort didnt get any sweeter to the taste during the process though.

2)
The post boil OG was much higher than anticipated. 1.060 instead of 1.051. I assume this was due to more boil off than anticipated? But I really have no idea!

3)
My kitchen gass stove struggled to keep a solid boil going. Due to this I intermittently partially covered the lid to get it going, then would take it away untill it slowed down again.

4)
The cold/hot break really didnt drop out too well at all. The wort I transfered to the fermenter was really muddy. There was a much thicker sludge at the bottom but the wort was FAR from clear. I whirlpooled after cooling and let it sit for 25min, then transfered with a racking cane.

5) No obvious fermentation after 8 hrs. It was temp controlled to 18C over night, I lifted it to 19C this morning. Im not so much worried that its taking a little time to start as I am that there may be nothing there for my yeasti friends to munch on!!

Things I learnt:

1) I need a way to mesure the volume IN the boil pot! I couldn't well asses many of the above things due to this!

2) mash: start on the low side and bring it up? ? ? (holding the bag of the bottom of corse!

So let me know what you all think, and if you have any suggestions!! Like I said I just want this batch to be a learning experience. Appreciate your help!! :)

Time to go and drink one of the batches that DID work out! hah:rockin:

I would say this was a great first AG! But there are a few issues to improve on. You'll get lots of advice, here is my two cents...

Regarding strike temp, its ok to have 160+ strike water, denaturing would take the grain temp to go over 160 for several minutes, just adding strike water that will be cooled by the grains isn't a problem.

Your pre-boil gravity was a little better than designed, what you got was fine, you want to up your efficient calculation a little on future brews.

Your post-boil gravity is a bigger concern because of the big discrepancy, yes you boiled off too much, but it looks like a lot too much. How long did you boil?

You probably want to address your boil issue, maybe try putting some reflectix insulation around your pot. Putting the lid on during the boil is not a good practice, it's not guaranteed to create a problem but your definitely increasing the risk of off-flavors from DMS.

As far a cloudy wort, that's normal with BIAB, you get a few more grain particles in the wort but it will fall out during fermentation. Its the clarity of the final beer you want to worry about moreso than the clarity of what you put in the fermenter. You can search on whirlfloc, irish moss, or gelatin to get clear beer.

On fermentation, I think the rule of thumb is to not sweat it until after 48-72 hours, then think about pitching new yeast.

Overall nice job, I think you have a good handle on your problems which is a great first step towards better beer.

Good luck!

Awesome! Thanks for the input!!

Il have to give the insulation a go, I was thinking of just getting a decent burner as well.

As for the mash temp, I meant that after adding all of the grain into the strike water the temp was still at 74! And took about 15 min to come down under 70. That was why I was stressing haha.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Awesome! Thanks for the input!!

Il have to give the insulation a go, I was thinking of just getting a decent burner as well.

As for the mash temp, I meant that after adding all of the grain into the strike water the temp was still at 74! And took about 15 min to come down under 70. That was why I was stressing haha.

It does not matter if the mash temp is 150, 160 or 170, all will make the sugar water we call wort. The question is how fermentable will that wort be? Hands down the best source to learn about this is from a fabulous youtube video from BobbyFromNJ.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PSvCRtVdZU[/ame]

How do I know of this you ask? My first BIAB I mashed at about 164. Not good. :)

I suggest you first watch the video I linked above. You will learn that you LIKELY have a wort that will not ferment nearly low enough. You can then read up on Alpha Amylase Enzyme which you may be able to use (if needed) to save your wort. If fermentation finishes and your gravity is way too high you may want to check it out. Here is a link to a post I made about my use of it in my first brew.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/punkin-ale-145060/index116.html#post4992817

Let me know if you have any questions.

Chris

It does not matter if the mash temp is 150, 160 or 170, all will make the sugar water we call wort. The question is how fermentable will that wort be? Hands down the best source to learn about this is from a fabulous youtube video from BobbyFromNJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PSvCRtVdZU

How do I know of this you ask? My first BIAB I mashed at about 164. Not good. :)

I suggest you first watch the video I linked above. You will learn that you LIKELY have a wort that will not ferment nearly low enough. You can then read up on Alpha Amylase Enzyme which you may be able to use (if needed) to save your wort. If fermentation finishes and your gravity is way too high you may want to check it out. Here is a link to a post I made about my use of it in my first brew.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/punkin-ale-145060/index116.html#post4992817

Let me know if you have any questions.

Chris

Thanks for the link Chris will check it out when I'm not at work:) haha. Appreciate the input!

So that video was great thanks Chris!

I worked out why my mash was so hot. I transposed a couple of numbers as a read my recipe. 73.8 turned into 78.3!

But I do have some fermentation going now. I guess I just wait and see if it will dry out to a point that it is drinkable.

I'm going to raise the temp a little each day, any other suggestions on aiding the yeasties?

Yup, Bobby is the man. I don't think you can do much different now outside your regular fermentation plan and hope that your wort is ferment able enough to dry out. If not there is always alpha amylase that can help. You may want to AT&T least scope out where you can source it if needed.

Yup, Bobby is the man. I don't think you can do much different now outside your regular fermentation plan and hope that your wort is ferment able enough to dry out. If not there is always alpha amylase that can help. You may want to AT&T least scope out where you can source it if needed.

Groovy, oh well will watch and wait! I may just be stressing for nothing!

Is this what I am looking for? http://www.brewshop.co.nz/low-carb-dry-enzyme.html?

I use a metal ruler. 1L = 1.5cm in my pot.

I have seen people mention they do that. Do you find it fairly accurate? I may have to do the same. I worry about accuracy with a 70l pot though. 1l will be .8cm or something tiny haha. But I guess it is much better than nothing huh! Thanks for the tip!

In case any one wanted to see, or if it changes anything.

Here is the recipe I followed. It's based on Edworts recipe and changed for what I could get etc.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400898050.164224.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400898067.202743.jpg

My experience with BIAB is most software sets the mash-in temp too high.
I only lose a degree or two at mash-in. If I want to mash at 152, I'll mash in at 154, especially when doing a full volume mash.

My experience with BIAB is most software sets the mash-in temp too high.
I only lose a degree or two at mash-in. If I want to mash at 152, I'll mash in at 154, especially when doing a full volume mash.

Hmmm yeah that would add up with what I experienced. I also realised I messed up and mashed in a couple of degrees higher than the recipe called for (transposed numbers, stupid dyslexia!).

But that only accounts for 2c. Your suggestion of another few degrees due to the program would help explain that!

Groovy, oh well will watch and wait! I may just be stressing for nothing!

Is this what I am looking for? http://www.brewshop.co.nz/low-carb-dry-enzyme.html?

That looks like it is likely the same stuff, but I can't be sure. What you are looking for is Alpha Amylase Enzyme. That stuff certainly looks like it is the same thing.
Here is an example:
http://store.homebrewheaven.com/amylase-enzyme-15-oz-p123.aspx

As for measuring the amount in your kettle, I found this tool very useful.
http://merrycuss.com/calc/kettle_volume.html

That looks like it is likely the same stuff, but I can't be sure. What you are looking for is Alpha Amylase Enzyme. That stuff certainly looks like it is the same thing.

Here is an example:

http://store.homebrewheaven.com/amylase-enzyme-15-oz-p123.aspx

As for measuring the amount in your kettle, I found this tool very useful.

http://merrycuss.com/calc/kettle_volume.html

Cool thanks Chris!

Yeah have looked for it by name, but no one seems to sell it with that name. If it comes to it I will give that stuff a crack.

Appreciate the help man!

Latest posts

Back