first AG batch sanity check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassballboy

Reaction score
I'm going to brew my first AG batch tomorrow (finally). *I want to do one last check to make sure I'm checking all of the boxes on the process. *I'll be using a variation of Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde for my test batch.

5.25 Gallon batch, 6 gallon boil
65% efficiency
OG: 1.053
F.G. 1.012

Water - 5.25 gallons RO, 2 gallons Ice Mountain Spring Water
Water Treatment - 1/2 tsp gypsum, 1/2 tsp calcium chloride, 1/2 campden tablet

Grain Bill:
9.5lb 2 row
0.75lb Carapils
0.5lb Vienna
0.5lb 20L
0.5lb Victory

Hops:
0.25oz Centennial @ 60
0.25oz Centennial @ 30
0.25oz Citra @ 20
0.5oz Cascade @ 15
0.5oz Cascade @ 5

Nottingham Yeast (ferment at 62*)

Steps:
1. Warm mash tun with hot water, dump water
2. Heat 4.25 gallons of water to 168, place in tun
3. Add grain, adjust temp to ~154*
4. Allow mash to rest for 60 minutes
5. Heat 3 gallons of sparge water to 179*
6. Collect first running, recirculate over top of grain a few times until wort clears then drain completely
7. Add sparge water, adjust to 168*
8. Hold 10 minutes
9. Collect second runnings, recirculate over top of grain a few times until wort clears then drain completely
10. Handle boil normally

Here are my thoughts...

5.25 Gallon batch, 6 gallon boil

I don't know what your equipment is, but I'd assume 1 gallon boil off even in humid weather.

65% efficiency
OG: 1.053
F.G. 1.012

Again, don't know your equipment, but if your crush is good assume at least 70% to start with. The crush is reasons 1 through 5 on "why is my efficiency low". You seem to have a grasp on this, so I'd just start at 70.

1. Warm mash tun with hot water, dump water
2. Heat 4.25 gallons of water to 168, place in tun

I combine these steps and waste less water and time. I add 5 degrees and let it sit 'till it's ready. So heat to 173, add to tun, and wait until you see 168. 5-10 minutes tops.

8. Hold 10 minutes

No need. Just stir, stir, stir, and drain.

+1
Check your boil off rate prior to brewing-boil up a set volume of water for 60 minutes, measure what's left and you know how much you lost over an hour. .75 gallons over an hour seems pretty low.

How did you figure out your water additions? Are you sure you need them in the amounts listed? Do you have a water report to base off of? It's just as easy to screw up a good beer with unnecessary additions or incorrect amounts as it is to just use regular water if you don't properly calculate what's needed to adjust the chemistry.

+1
Check your boil off rate prior to brewing-boil up a set volume of water for 60 minutes, measure what's left and you know how much you lost over an hour. .75 gallons over an hour seems pretty low.

How did you figure out your water additions? Are you sure you need them in the amounts listed? Do you have a water report to base off of? It's just as easy to screw up a good beer with unnecessary additions or incorrect amounts as it is to just use regular water if you don't properly calculate what's needed to adjust the chemistry.

I used this to calculate temps and volumes:
http://www.brewheads.com/batch.php

As far as the additives go, I was bagging those on the AG tutorial by John Palmer along with the fact that most of the water I'm using is RO. Hopefully that works... I do have a water report for my city (Indy), but the ranges listed make it almost worthless. It would be a nice cost saver to use tap vs. bottled though

I stir the mash every 15 minutes, didn't see you mention that. I do two batch sparges. That increases my efficiency from about 67 to 80. I boil off more than what you are estimating. I want 5.5 in the fermenter. I lose wort in the kettle and beer in the carboy to trub. So I all my recipes are 6 gal so that I end with 5 in the keg. Some people seem to do something more efficient but your experiences may vary. I wouldn't worry about the water profile just yet. I would use city water and Camden to start. I don't think you mentioned mash ph, which ideally you should consider as well eventually. I say just go with the easy way and see what you get. There will be more batches to perfect your water, efficiency, process, etc. but overall, you have the gist. Have fun. Hope this provides some things you hadn't heard and gives you some encouragement. Cheers.

I stir the mash every 15 minutes, didn't see you mention that. I do two batch sparges. That increases my efficiency from about 67 to 80. I boil off more than what you are estimating. I want 5.5 in the fermenter. I lose wort in the kettle and beer in the carboy to trub. So I all my recipes are 6 gal so that I end with 5 in the keg. Some people seem to do something more efficient but your experiences may vary. I wouldn't worry about the water profile just yet. I would use city water and Camden to start. I don't think you mentioned mash ph, which ideally you should consider as well eventually. I say just go with the easy way and see what you get. There will be more batches to perfect your water, efficiency, process, etc. but overall, you have the gist. Have fun. Hope this provides some things you hadn't heard and gives you some encouragement. Cheers.

2 sparges? Do you mean you spilt up the water then? For example if your recipe calls for a 4 gallon sparge you do 2 2 gallon sparges?

Back