First AG batch / parti-gyle brew session

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierGut

Reaction score
I've been doing extract batches now for two years in my apt. and just this past Thursday I bought a house and the last few pieces that I needed to go all grain. Now that I have the room and the equipment I'm ready to get started.

It may be a bit ambitious for my first AG batch but I was toying with the idea of doing a parti-gyle brew session with the first runnings being a barleywine and the second runnings being a smaller beer like a pale ale or bitter. Is this standard practice for AG brewers who have a large grain bill and an entire day devoted to brewing?

I plan on taking pics and extensive notes to share here, regardless of the outcome.

tips, tricks, opinions?

I wouldn't attempt a parti gyle on your first AG.
You need to understand how your system works and dial it in.
The basic understanding of your equipment should include: What does my strike water temp. need to be to pre heat my mash tun...What is the water/grist ratio you are using...how are you measuring what you are collecting.
For my equipment:
-my strike water is 180 to eventually mash in at 155
-1.25 qts per lb
-Notched dowel to measure runnings
If you cannot answer those questions, I would not attempt.
Best of luck to you!

I wouldn't attempt a parti gyle on your first AG.
You need to understand how your system works and dial it in.
The basic understanding of your equipment should include: What does my strike water temp. need to be to pre heat my mash tun...What is the water/grist ratio you are using...how are you measuring what you are collecting.
For my equipment:
-my strike water is 180 to eventually mash in at 155
-1.25 qts per lb
-Notched dowel to measure runnings
If you cannot answer those questions, I would not attempt.
Best of luck to you!

I would agree to curb your ambition for a batch or two as you get comfortable with your system/process. After that, I always go parti gyle when I brew big beers ... why not get some mileage out of the big grain bill and go 2-fer?

I'd like to Pari-Gyle to make a London Pride clone at some point. That being said, Parti-Gyle on first AG could be a frustrating experience. I'd nail a few regular batches first!

I would tend to agree with the rest of the folks here. Get to know what your equipment can do first and dial it in real well.

My experience with a coffee stout party-gyle, while successful, was somewhat painful. Basically, I used my 1st and 2nd runnings for the main brew, and the 3rd and 4th runnings for the party-gyle. I nearly overfilled my MLT, I had a lot more boil-off than I calculated (which required another boil kettle). In the end everything worked out well and I ended up with two really good brews, I just wish I had more a precise estimate of my equipment capabilities.

Even today, I would rather not do a party-gyle, but rather two separate batches.

I appreciate everyone's honesty. I have a few weeks yet until I'll actually find the time between work and moving into the new house to brew so I may simmer down a little by then. Whichever route I decide to take though I'll be sure to post pictures and notes.

Back