First AG batch on new equipment. Learned a lot but still no bubbles!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon Brooks

Reaction score
So I brewed 2 batches yesterday with a new igloo mash tun and HLT. OG's were low on both and I believe I have nailed some issues. I didn't do any stirring during my mash. Just added grains, Strike water and covered for 60 minutes. I did vorlauf about 3 pitchers worth and then drained and added sparge water with the valve open. So I plan to stir twice during mash and close the valve when adding sparge water and stir again before draining into kettle. Hopefully that will help. But 48 hours after pitching yeast (Danstar BRY-97) I haven't seen 1 damn bubble. I was concerned after 48 hours that basement was too cool. I checked temp and it was around 59 degrees F but the wort was 70ish when I pitched anyway so it would've taken a while to cool off. When should I repitch? Im thinking if I do, I'll go with Safale US05, but how long should I wait. Take a grav now? wait a week?

what did you brew and what were your OG's?
I always stir my mash ,to make sure I dont get dough balls and it ensures I get a good extraction . You sure the yeast was good? I've had yeast action within 8 hrs to waiting 36 hours and nothing. Before assuming you have no bubbles (in an airlock) I would suspect a leak first . what are you fermenting in, is it a clear sided vessel you can see in? If after 48 hrs theres no kraeusen on top or no yeast turbulence going on , I would seriously think about repitching. You dont mention what style beer you made but US-05 is a pretty hardy yeast and going from a Danstar to US-05 might give a different taste in the end as you wanted .Theres a chance your Danstar is just slow (read link below),but once the US-05 gets going one will overcome the other . It will be beer ,maybe just not what you were expecting. Personally,Ive never used Danstar but have used US-05 a few times with excellent results. Give it a shot. Cant hurt .

http://brulosophy.com/2015/06/01/safale-us-05-vs-danstar-bry-97-exbeeriment-results/

what did you brew and what were your OG's?
I always stir my mash ,to make sure I dont get dough balls and it ensures I get a good extraction . You sure the yeast was good? I've had yeast action within 8 hrs to waiting 36 hours and nothing. Before assuming you have no bubbles (in an airlock) I would suspect a leak first . what are you fermenting in, is it a clear sided vessel you can see in? If after 48 hrs theres no kraeusen on top or no yeast turbulence going on , I would seriously think about repitching. You dont mention what style beer you made but US-05 is a pretty hardy yeast and going from a Danstar to US-05 might give a different taste in the end as you wanted .Theres a chance your Danstar is just slow (read link below),but once the US-05 gets going one will overcome the other . It will be beer ,maybe just not what you were expecting. Personally,Ive never used Danstar but have used US-05 a few times with excellent results. Give it a shot. Cant hurt .

http://brulosophy.com/2015/06/01/safale-us-05-vs-danstar-bry-97-exbeeriment-results/
I brewed a DDH Pale Ale and British Dark Ale, both experimental recipes of my own creation. The OGs were supposed to be 1.051 and 1.058 respectively but ended up 1.037 and 1.046. I believe my efficiency was somewhere in the 40's for the Pale and mid 50's for the dark based on the results. Its a clear plastic carboy. The Danstar was used for the Pale and OY-011 liquid for the british dark, which is fermenting nicely. There is zero surface activity with the danstar (which I did rehydrate with 85 degree tap water).

I looked up the working temperature of Danstar . 59-72*F .
https://www.homebrewing.org/BRY-97-American-West-Coast-Ale-Yeast-Danstar-_p_2917.html
I'm suspecting you hydrated it with too hot of water . Yeast can do cooler temps and go almost dormant if its too cool but too much heat will kill yeast. I think its time to repitch .
After almost 40 hours, it started to ferment and starting bubbling away like no tomorrow. I'll follow it along and see how it finishes out. Because of all my mistakes, I'm not expecting anything fabulous but I'm shocked by the way its going now after such a long lag. Thanks for your help

Back