First ag batch mishapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesster

Reaction score
Well my first batch went ok besides the fact that a) I mashed at 152 when recipe called for 150 b) when temp in my hlt dropped to around 150,i added 4 cups hot water temp didnt go up, added 4 more and nothin added 4 more and stirred then it shot up to 160 lol had to add 4 cups cold and back on money c) had good boil over during hot break d) typically do ice bath to cool but new pot wouldnt fit in sink and had to rack boilin hot liqued to my ferm bucket to cool in which melted my auto siphon. E) wort would not cool after four hours was still 150 had to let sit over night all in which my starter was ready to go ... All in all a good learnin experience and I have now made wort chiller lol my mlt works great lets about ten grains come through during vourlof after its crystal clear.. Least I got to catch a good homebrew buzz hehe

ForumRunner_20120509_203039.jpg

ForumRunner_20120509_203109.jpg

ForumRunner_20120509_203144.jpg

Well my first batch went ok besides the fact that a) I mashed at 152 when recipe called for 150 b) when temp in my hlt dropped to around 150,i added 4 cups hot water temp didnt go up, added 4 more and nothin added 4 more and stirred then it shot up to 160 lol had to add 4 cups cold and back on money

Just so you are aware, it probably wouldn't have been a big deal at all if you left the mash at 152. Those two degrees really are negligible in most cases.

Also, how long did it take from when you started the mash until you hit the money?

c) had good boil over during hot break

Happens to the best of us. I now put a fan that points down into the pot to make sure it doesn't boil over.
d) typically do ice bath to cool but new pot wouldnt fit in sink and had to rack boilin hot liqued to my ferm bucket to cool in which melted my auto siphon. E) wort would not cool after four hours was still 150 had to let sit over night all in which my starter was ready to go ...

Probably not a good idea to transfer at that temp (Whether or not you use an autosiphon that can melt). Next time this happens, I'd put the lid on the pot and let it cool down to pitching temp before you transfer.

You don't want Hot Side Aeration (If it truly exists), and you don't want to worry about bacteria getting involved.

All in all a good learnin experience and I have now made wort chiller lol my mlt works great lets about ten grains come through during vourlof after its crystal clear.. Least I got to catch a good homebrew buzz hehe

Let us know how it turns out. :mug:

I also noticed your manifold in the picture. It appears to be exactly the same size as the perimeter and touching the outer edge. You'd likely get better efficiency if you cut the PVC and bring the PVC in by about an inch or two.

Had fun though... did't ya..!?!

It is a learning experience and we all have war stories...! My first lesson in boil-overs was on a stovetop and took me almost an hour to clean up..!

Thank u for the great tips it only took about 5 mins of addin water to get temp corrected and it only loses about a degree every 40 mins.. And thanks I will shorten up my manifold.. Cant figure out how to quote from my phone

BrewChem said:
Had fun though... did't ya..!?!

It is a learning experience and we all have war stories...! My first lesson in boil-overs was on a stovetop and took me almost an hour to clean up..!

After about 3 years of brewing I have yet to really learn my lesson...

Pre-heat your mashtun next time

Yep. I add 180* water to my tun and cover. Let it sit while I put sparge water into kettle and double check my crush, etc. Then I stir down to just above strike temp and dough-in. Usually takes a bit of stirring to get down to mash temp but that's fine. Easier to stir down than bring temp up in a cooler.

Lmao,i did preheat used boilling water which also melted my cooler a little well bubbled up one spot in plastic right were I poured it in

If I use 160* water I never hit my mash temp high enough. Maybe it's because my basement is cooler than a lot of places where people brew. I need around 180* water.

Back